Why is reCAPTCHA so much used even by privacy oriented developers?

I understand the reason why is CAPTCHA implemented but why even some privacy oriented subjects (Signal) are going for the Google version? Especially when Google uses reCAPTCHA for its own business stuff. It is because none developed such efficient or at least somewhat sufficient alternative?

3 Likes

as developer, anything made by google/fb its best of best & some of us (includes me) can not avoid all google services (like me i’m using google firebase & did not found a good alt yet so yeah) so replying on your question: because it’s smart & best

1 Like

Because it’s easy and there aren’t really good alternatives :confused:

3 Likes

Because developers falsely believe/claim that they are doing something good by deciding to protect their users from bots instead of protecting them from G%§$e.

I believe there should be a law forbidding companies to require people to be exposed to GAFAM & Co, just so you can create an account on their website, just so you can contact them, just so you can tell them that they should replace reCaptcha and get rid of trackers on their websites.

Lately I’ve seen a few websites that use seemingly great alternatives to reCaptcha. One such site is invidio.us. Btw if anybody knows what Captcha software they are using please let me know.

2 Likes

If anyone has good alternatives, I think the Matrix.org / Riot.im people would be interested at Evaluate CAPTCHA options #3606.

2 Likes

Because people are lazy. I wish I was kidding.

2 Likes

microsoft has a captcha that works just as good

I really like the way Tutanota handles it, read the clock. Melts my heart

1 Like

I really like Tutanota’s CAPTCHA as well, but I’m not quite so sure about how accessible it is. Definitely a nice change though.

There are no realistic alternatives. Google make the best products sadly, its the way it its…

1 Like