Why I Decided to Run a Tor Relay

It makes me smile when I come across someone struggling with the decision of whether or not to get a VPN. It makes me smile not because of the indecision and relative lack of knowledge, but because it wasn't so long ago I was in exactly the same position—perceiving VPNs to be some kind of extreme measure only the paranoid and the criminal resorted to. How wrong I was.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.privacytools.io/why-i-decided-to-run-a-tor-relay/

Can anyone write a blog post to PT or is that person a new member?

Also, fuck Appelbaum, he’s a bigot.

1 Like

Any-one can request to write as a Guest. Sam is not a new team member.

Yup! I would like to see this blog edited with his comment removed. It’s a bad look.

1 Like

How would I go about that?

Yeah, like he really got the Tor project, and the tech/privacy community a bad look back in the day and what he is saying can be replicated from a lot of other sources.

1 Like

Ad hominum attack?

Explain why he is a bigot.

Here

Seriously, why the hate for this guy?

Some info can be found on their Wiki page.

Accusations and finger pointing but no charges or conviction.

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Everything else is just slander and character assassination.

If the guy is guilty then a court will determine that, until then, ad hominum attacks. Kind of pathetic.

I disagree with that. It isn’t like the quote says that “it’s okay to rape people” or anything like that. He was a long time Tor developer and journalist/activist/computer security scientist, so that is the reason he is being quoted.

This.

Also I find it rather odd, he was de-platformed, had privileges and membership etc revoked, before any investigation occurred.

You would think “innocent until proven guilty” would prevail. At very least they could have asked him to temporary step down while it was being investigated.

If no criminal investigation was underway, then no more action should have be taken.

This certainly to me seems like a “court of public opinion” decision, rather than one with any legal backing, where certain rules apply ie: beyond reasonable doubt, etc, right to legal council, defense etc.

The danger with this is that smear campaigns can have devastating effects which can ruin a person’s standing within the community without or with insufficient evidence. Having anonymous victims, does encourage this as well, because anyone can say anything about anyone.

In a judicial system victims are not anonymous, at least to the judge and prosecutor. There are also usually very strict laws in most countries about making false allegations. Often those come with prison time.

It also isn’t beyond a government to use its intelligence services orchestrate a smear campaign. The only way to combat that is transparency about the findings. He says he was he was also being harassed, in regard to his possession of Snowden documents/publishing of them.

He hasn’t spoken in a while, apparently working on post-quantum cryptography stuff at a university in Europe. LEFFEST’19 Resistances - Virtuality of Resistance, Resistance in Virtuality Nov 18, 2019 (5:15).

I’m closing this discussion, which has unfortunately become derailed from the original topic :frowning:

There’s a contributing page on the blog in the nav.