Why can't I use ProtonVPN with TailsOS?

I want to use ProtonVPN with TailsOS but I can not. “Https://protonvpn.com/support/linux-vpn-setup/” This site is the end of the installation until the end but I can not do from the second. When I tried to use VPN from the network of settings, I did not respond in a straight line. I intended to enter from the command, but I got an error like how to enter it. Is this a problem with Tails, OpenVPN, or ProtonVPN?

Error displayed

• NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts

• Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash ‘SHA512’ for HMAC authentication

• Ingoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 512 bit message hash ‘SHA512’ for HMAC authentication

• RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: us-free-01.protonvpn.com:1194 (Temporary failure in name resolution)

• RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: us-free-01.protonvpn.com:1194 (Temporary failure in name resolution)

• Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol

• SIGUSR1[soft,init_instance] received, process restarting

• Restart pause, 5 secound(s)

rather than belabor the point about not using TOR with VPN I’ll simply mention please ensure you are connected VPN before TOR, otherwise you force exit from TOR thru your VPN provider and I cannot think of any good reason to do that for regular privacy seeking internet user

RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: us-free-01.protonvpn.com:1194 (Temporary failure in name resolution)

the above sounds like a DNS is not working issue. could be resolvconf is not working as desired, you have no DHCP assigned nor manually added DNS server, or conflict in managing the various DNS settings changers (openresolv works much better when dealing with such a stack of tools that want to set/adjust DNS settings OS wide. resolvconf irritated me to no end until I switched to openresolv :confused:

Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol

not sure why determine IPv4/6 fails though, unless your system is IPv6 only, or timing out instead of graceful fail-over to IPv4?..try open terminal and run command:

dig http://us-free-01.protonvpn.com

the result should return a couple dozen IPv4 addresses minimum (I disable IPv6 system-wide so unsure what that would look like in dig results)

I will reiterate this point just for the sake of completeness :wink:

You do not need to use a VPN with Tails or Tor Browser. @blacklight447 wrote a great post on the matter on his blog I’d recommend checking out:

And read part 1 while you’re at it.

Now to answer your question, I’d agree this sounds like a DNS resolution issue. Pretty sure needs to Tails send DNS queries over Tor anyways, which completely defeats the point of your VPN. Just don’t use it and stick with Tor only.

Which is better anonymity between VPN via Tor and regular VPN? Which one is easier to identify? And is VPN secure ProtonVPN?

Don’t use a VPN at all, use Tor only.

Look i never tried tails but i can assume that your country blocked VPNs (Like Egypt, it connect to VPNs but not all times) or your tailsOS already connected to TOR network