Which VPN you consider the best?

hypothetically speaking, if you had root on a bare metal server which the isp had no records on you being associated with (billing, user account, etc), the server had all logging disabled (syslog + vpn logs), then the only way it could be traced back to you is if the isp were to track + share with law enforcement historic src connections to the given ip, right? and how realistic is that?

the okay-ish comment resonates and has also been something i wonder about – with the plethora of vpn providers these days who are creating a business around staying completely anonymous, there’s honestly no way to truly trust what a provider is offering, logging, or affiliated with, right? if there’s a super 1337 branded vpn provider that could very well be gov run, it’d be better to use our isp. please prove me wrong! :smiley:

Well in the end of the day, you have two types of VPN providers.
VPN providers you trust, and VPN ythat you don’t trust. When you choose to use a VPN, you acknknowlegde that that provider will have full access to your traffic, and will know where the traffic came from (you), and where it is going.

With Tor you can prevent that, but with a VPN provider all their “security” and “military grade encryption” buzzwords don’t matter, all that matters if they keep their promise to you, which is something that you will never be able to verify.

1 Like

+1, and it all becomes a false sense of security if the host system exploited through > insert method of your choice here <

2 Likes

Using IVPN myself. Having been on Nord, Air and Mullvad, IVPN for me is the fastest (although at a price).

Currently using Mullvad for when I cant use Tor.

1 Like

I often refer people to Matt Traudt’s post on that too. He explains it in a way that’s easy to understand. I feel like the misconception is that “Oh, if I use a VPN, that’s an extra layer of protection,” but it doesn’t quite work that way.

1 Like

My current favorite: Mullvad, paid with Bitcoin Cash (Electron-Cash app on mobile).
I like the app on my laptop (openvpn) and use wireguard and 2 openvpn profiles (udp and tcp 443) on my phone.

Before this I used AirVPN, but I couldn’t get used to the app Eddie.

With TOR browser, I never type anything that’s related to me.

I just read here that you shouldn’t use TOR and VPN together. Something to remember :wink:

(removed pgp signing)

1 Like

Longest I’ve been with is Cotse, although US based I trust Gielda is all it boils down to reference that topic.

Mullvad best speeds and experience with (especially when using their wireguard service)

AirVPN is fast and reliable and although their available client leaves much to be desired it does work well and supports other carriers (on Linux, beta version, also mono based so not good for many threat profiles I imagine).

PIA, via significant other’s laptop, I don’t trust them - too big and too sleazy with their smear tactics (although the stuff they expose on competitors does seem to hold water.

Yes, all my VPN providers are in 14 eyes territories but I am not concerned over big brother (and hiding my activity from gov, tla’s etc), rather about the “big other” monetizing me and my every move on the internets (eg. 3rd party/trackers and the proprietors of and the profiteers from surveillance capitalism).

So really VPN is just a privacy filter in my case use, with each VPN provider I do have currently used for different reasons (during this overlap subscription period).

For any measure of anonymity into the clearnet then Tor network and browser, along with different habits, must be used. (and definitely No VPN+TOR together)

Links I’ve found useful in my search for a good VPN provider and determining some measure of being trustworthy(?) :
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/#detailed-vpn-comparison (as already mentioned)
https://restoreprivacy.com/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes/
https://vpnscam.com/

1 Like

I’ve tried a variety and I ended up liking only proxy.sh and airvpn. It’s not hard to run your own too if your needs are simple.

I was heavily influenced by thatoneprivacyguy in deciding which ones to try in the first place, he has such a detailed review. Also, the right answer totally depends on your priorities, so this is always a good topic :smile:

1 Like

PIA are not the most ethical of companies, they launch smear attacks etc… They are also not on the privacytools.io list.

I use Proton, although I am considering switching to Nord potentially.

I use exclusively VeePN. Great to use, everything suits my tasks, there is no flaws.

Another for Mullvad, but through Wireguard, awesome.

Due to the recommendations I gave another try to Mullvad and I’m satisfied. Although I miss some functionality:

• there is no split tunneling
  • I don’t see the load of the servers so I don’t know to which I should switch for faster speed

Any idea for these 2?

It seems there is split tunneling:

Edit: forgot a ‘t’

3 Likes

What about Bitmask and Riseup? Using the Riseup client from fdroid , no login, just run and go.

Great, thanks for the guide!

I really love Mullvad

2 Likes

@beefmiracle
Split tunneling is possible with any VPN. From a post on cryptostorm’s forum:

In this network setup, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway IP for your LAN.
As an IP to exclude from the VPN, I’ll use ifconfig[dot]co’s IP, which is currently 188.113.88.193.
On Windows, after connecting to the VPN, visit ifconfig[dot]co in your browser to verify that the VPN is on.
Then, start a command prompt as Administrator and run:

route add 188.113.88.193 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.1

That will tell windows to use the gateway 192.168.1.1 for the IP 188.113.88.193, instead of the default gateway which is currently the one set by OpenVPN.
If needed, you can also use subnet masks such as 188.113.88.0/24 to instead exclude an entire C class of IPs.

To verify that it’s working, go to ifconfig[dot]co again and you should see your real IP.
To verify that it’s only excluding that website, you can use any other IP checking site and you should get the VPN’s IP.

Once the exclusion is no longer needed, you can remove that route with:

route delete 188.113.88.193

On Linux, the command to add the route would be:

route add -host 188.113.88.193 gw 192.168.1.1

and to delete:

route del -host 188.113.88.193

1 Like

Not mentioned on the site and I can’t find it one thatoneprivacysite.net so…