Where do you currently host repositories (both public and private) of your projects?

This topic is, sort of, a continuation of Privacy-friendly source code hosting recommendations

I am (and hopefully not alone =) just interested in community’s current “average”, please share your preferences:

Where do you currently host repositories (both public and private) of your projects?

0 voters

1 Like

i host it on github because most of users uses github so its more to make it accessible due i not have specs to get my own servers and host on it

Is sourceforge no longer a thing?

1 Like

Interesting mention, do they offer private repos and/or pages-like (static hosting)?

I have accounts on GitHub if I need to contribute or make an issue. I have an account on 0xacab, RiseUps GitLab instance, but my primary software forge is sr.ht

1 Like

the best git repo hosting service is git init --bare :slight_smile:

1 Like

I assume private repositories and static hosting (pages) are on-request basis?

Q: ‘Hey, we have a project and it needs hosting’
A: ‘Let’s talk!’

(Source: 0xacab)

1 Like

Personally my only project at GitHub currently is my website as I haven’t found the effort to Is there a better GitHub pages alternative than GitLab pages? while there seem to be so many other things to do at all times.

Otherwise my projects are mainly in Gitea on blesmrt.net and due to Shutting Down Gitea I had to think of mirrors for repositories I care more about just in case reasoning excuses why I could use Pirate Party Finland’s Gitea and one went to Snopyta’s Gitea as I decided that mirrorring is easier in Gitea (where you just click the plus in top right and select “new migration”) than GitLab while I was considering Feneas GitLab EE.

For the other repos I don’t care so much about I reason to myself that Git is decentralized so in worst case scenario I would have local copies somewhere either in ancient backups or family PC and I believe I would hear if blesmrt.net would be going down either at freenode or from my partner who is friends with the owner.

1 Like

I currently have public stuff on GitHub that I share with the world on purpose. I don’t have anything shared that’s super controversial because I think of that as less like a private conversation between friends and more like a CV.

I have personal projects in private repositories on Gitlab. I was going to explain how Gitlab has been more protective of freedom and autonomy than Github; but doing a search for “Gitlab controversy” turned up enough weird stuff that I no longer think Gitlab is immune to political pressure to suppress unconventional ideas.

I used Bitbucket some time ago - but I don’t like Australia’s approach to freedom/privacy, and I don’t like Atlassian’s approach to personally owned intellectual property, so I don’t use them any more. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Personal-gmail-account-claimed-by-SSO-can-t-login-anymore/qaq-p/1293750

So, f*** it, I’m going to set up Gitea or a private Gitlab installation on my own server.

I was waiting for your answer :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks, you mentioned some services that worth taking a look at.

1 Like