What's preventing Windows from something to an encrypted Linux install (Dual Boot)

I’m planning to move from Windows 10 to Manjaro (not installed Linux), but I might need Windows 10 later, so dualbooting is my only option. I know I could get another computer for Linux, but I’m very tight with money and I’m doing 3D and design work (I use FOSS) as well. My only concern with a dual-boot is that Windows can do something, even if I have to encrypt it. I know that Windows Update screws up a Linux install.

Since Windows 10 is closed source, we cannot know for sure if Windows is able to work with file systems Linux or not. In theory Windows to implement a Keylogger or other kinds of threats in my Linux install?

Hmm, you could try running Linux with a Windows 10 vm so you can still do all your Windows work and at the same time Windows can’t screw up your Linux installation, a Windows 10 vm really lacks in performance though compared to running Windows on bare metal so I’m not sure if that’s an option for you.

You can’t know for sure. Windows is malware after all.

Would you say that regardless of installed RAM, and other hardware characteristics ?

You can put more resources into a vm, but a vm needs a lot of resources.

I know. I was just wondering if you meant Windows 10 has something in it that hinders VM performance, regardless of hardware resources.

I’m on Windows 7, so at some point I might need to make the switch. And I’m reading on VMs. I see that it’s not unusual to run several VMs concurrently.

Nah, just saying that vms really hog resources, and that might be a problem if you need your resources for 3D and design work.

Thank you for clarifying.

Let me ask a question incidental to the OP’s situation. He plans to dual boot. I’ve read that dual booting with Windows and Linux brings a degree of risk.

I’m not even thinking about the possibility of malware migrating from the Windows side to the Linux side (although that’s of course a concern, too), but about regular operations, such as imaging and restoring.

Is that true ? Does that risk exist ? Should one avoid dual boot generally, for security and privacy ?

Maybe there is always a risk with windows involved, we don’t know what windows is actually doing in the background I turned off typing personalization but windows could still be keylogging me then maybe they could try to inject the keylogger into a linux install. I feel like windows could detect a Linux install even if it’s encrypted and alert Microsoft who could share that with a 3 letter agency then they know you use linux but what do I know I’m probably too paranoid.

I concur. It’s not spying agencies one has to fear here. Neither malignant intentions from Microsoft, which would be eager to destroy Linux installs.

Just ordinary snafus, coming from the fact that no operating system, as far as I know, has been designed with dual boot in mind (less of all Windows).

Just speculating here. I have no personal experience of dual boot. I’m more on the enquiring end.