What would be the best linux laptop on the market?

Yes what the title says.

I would be interested in this as well.

I am using a macbook, because I do like the mac ecosystem.

Do you guys know if there is support for the touchID system on linux?

Interesting topic! well I guess it would come down to what you find the most important.
There are all kinds things one could think about, cost, compatibility, speed. In my experience Lenovo Thinkpads are pretty good, but I have also heard a lot of good stuff about laptops from system76 and Dell’s XPS series too.

For a budget laptop, I would say a Thinkpad x230, it is very cheap, and when upgraded with and SSD and 16 GB of RAM, it becomes a pretty powerful little machine. It also has great Qubes OS and Coreboot support!

For a little more power, one could also look a the Lenovo Carbon x1, they work great with Linux in my experience. They have a really high build quality and are an absolute beast spec wise, but they are pretty pricey.

If you want to go full on Stallman, you could buy a Talos II or a Talos lite from Raptor engineering. They are based on the power 9 architecture instead of the usual Intel x86. they are ENORMOUSLY expensive, but they are very powerful machines and give you the ability to run a completely libre stack, from down to CPU microcode up to user applications. Also, it doesn’t have anything like the Intel ME to compromise you.

You could also run a fully libre computer with Libreboot, but those only support very old computers, and are not really usable these days for things outside of simple web browsing and writing documents.

1 Like

I wish I had the money to buy someone from puri.sm :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Librem 13 is really good if you can afford it. Only thing I don’t like is that it’s difficult as hell to get two displays hooked up on it. I would say anything that System76 is coming out with.

I would also like to support Dell for selling laptop with Ubuntu on them.This may seem easy but from listening to the Ubuntu podcast, this was a lot of time and energy on Dell’s part.

Want to spend $3000-5000?
Then http://emperorlinux.com/
Is the place to look.
For cheaper but a used Thinkpad.

I don’t think the MacBooks TouchID will ever work for any Linux distribution.

1 Like

Thinkpads in general. There are a few nice DELL models that are worth checking out. For now, I’m rocking an X1 Carbon 1st gen. Apart from the proprietary SSD connnector and having to live the “dongle life” whenever I wanna use Ethernet, this thing has been great.