What ways to avoid being tracked and browsing securely do you know?

I’ve already started using PGP keys to e-mails (w/GPG), password manager, file encrypter (VeraCrypt), Tor for sensitive informations, Firefox w/privacy add-ons for daily-to-daily use and degoogled my life.
What more can I do to avoid being tracker and browse securely on the internet, any suggestions?

1 Like

A lot about privacy and security comes from user behavior.

Compartmentalize your activity with different browsers and profiles, each with their unique settings and extensions. This will help with fingerprinting, and those trackers that can’t be avoided won’t track you too far back.

Consider using unique emails and aliases for each service, to hide your real address from those that may share or sell this information to 3rd parties. This will help to protect from potential future leaks and entering spam lists.

2 Likes

Which browsers do you recommend? I’m only using Tor and Firefox (as recommended by the community)

I’ve being using SimpleLogin(dot)io as email alias service, and it promises to respect privacy and its open-source, do you use another one, if yes which one? (SimpleLogin is freemium btw and there’s ways to not have a longer email alias which some websites doesnt allow too longer emails)

1 Like

if you want the ultimate privacy, use tor as daily browser without login to any accounts or anything. if you like wanna be in the middle and save some privacy i would say your current setup is cool :+1: :slight_smile: — as me esmail i use the middle setup and its fine for me so it depend on your thread module

1 Like

Good to know, thanks. I’m trying to be as much secure as I can, but to switch right now to ultimate privacy to me, maybe it could be a mistake since its better to switch services slowlly to adapt to then do such radical move.
Also I saw some people saying that for TOTP, its better to use on smartphone instead of using on PC (through KeePassXC) to descentralize the data, however its possible to make the computer much more highly secure than a smartphone nowadays, so it’s not a good recommendation? (to make the TOTP or any data accessible without my PC in case something happen to my PC (which i think its very unexpected to happen), I could just make backups of the databases encrypted with VeraCrypt then upload it on a cloud, and no one would be able to access without my passphrase/password). What’s your thoughts about it?

Make sure you use these reasonably. Financial, health and some government institusions may need your real and direct emails. If the email alias glitches out, goes under (as in becomes bankrupt) or generally just fails, you are going to have a really bad time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice.

actually if i remember right keepassxc does not connect to internet (data base locally on your PC) so maybe you mean spread data to protect yourself in case someone hacked into your PC and for me i use apps like (https://github.com/paolostivanin/OTPClient) so yes data spreaded and same time on PC because in my case im more active on PC so no its fine it depend on you which thing u like more PC or phone (thats my point of view)

yes sounds cool you can make backup from your PC/phone (as i said choose which device u more active at for me is PC and yes PC more customize so more secure, again my point of view :joy:) so backup idea is good or just take the access codes and encrypt them and upload them

i talk a lot, ik sorry

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your point of view, and keep exercising your right of freedom speech, speak as much as you want, it was very helpful.

1 Like

On a sidenote: In addition to all that is said in the thread you definitely need to implement the following in your browsers.
See the method I posted here.
Old Firefox Security Issue they seemingly Refuse To Fix

1 Like

Tor and Firefox are excellent options, and you can just use different profiles. I personally like to try different browsers so I combine and use them for different purposes e.g., Ungoogled Chromium, Brave, Vivaldi, etc.

For email alias I used to signup with dummy email addresses like guerrillamail, but I started using anonaddy and simplelogin as well when I know that I’ll receive emails.

if you are using dummy address why don’t you use tempmail?

Sometimes you just want email address isolation for stuff like forums where you may want to receive email notifications to reply in a timely manner, vs say you want to have freebies in conventions but they need an email.

1 Like