What OS are you all using?

System: Host: raspberrypi Kernel: 5.10.16-v8+ aarch64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXDE 0.10.0 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS 10 (buster)
Machine: Type: ARM Device System: Raspberry Pi 400

Android 9.0 on phone and Kindle OS on kindle fire 10 9th gen.

2 Likes

Are you actually daily driving a Raspberry Pi? How is the Pi 400 experience?

1 Like

Manjaro on my laptop. iOS right now for my phone but going to soon move over to GrapheneOS once I get my Pixel 4a.

1 Like

Yes the pi400 is actually a pretty fast device.

System: Host: raspberrypi Kernel: 5.10.17-v8+ aarch64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: LXDE 0.10.0 info: lxpanel wm: Openbox 3.6.1 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) Machine: Type: ARM Device System: Raspberry Pi 400 Rev 1.0 details: BCM2835 rev: c03130 serial: N/A CPU: Info: Quad Core model: N/A variant: cortex-a72 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: ARMv8 rev: 3 bogomips: 432 Speed: 2000 MHz max: 2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2000 2: 2000 3: 2000 4: 2000

2 Likes

You’ve peeked my interest. Is the Pi your only system? I’ve toyed around with using my Raspberry Pi 4 as my only computer for a day and it works, though I mainly use terminal applications like newsboat and cmus. However, using it to browse the web can be quite quite a bit slower (which I assume is due to the r/w speed of the SD card). Are you running your OS from an SD card or USB?

Ooooh this is a fun question! I’ll make sure to check out y’all’s answers. Meanwhile, here are my gigs.

My main production machine is a Medion computer I bought in Austria, with 8 gigs of RAM and an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (a processor with integrated graphics) which used to run Windows 10 Home, but it definitely had a heck of a history:

• I first installed Manjaro alongside Windows and while I liked its interface, I was still pretty much a Linux novice (never had serious considerations) and being an Arch-based distribution, it might have been not the best to begin with.
  • Linux Mint was next. Unfortunately, I installed the distro on an HDD instead of an SSD, which made things confusing. Also, I haven’t had a whole lot of experience with it until I switched to…
  • Kubuntu. So yes, I used Ubuntu, which was alright. But I’m happy I’m no longer on it. Discover Center is a buggy piece of software, and I wish I had rather used Synaptic or something. Don’t get me wrong though, KDE Plasma is my favourite desktop environment and I don’t think that’ll change anytime soon. Obviously, I prefer their environment over Windows 10. Anyway…
  • openSUSE Tumbleweed. Having an AMD processor, I have figured a rolling release might be better long-term. I’ve never really had any troubles with it, and I would happily use this distribution. At some point I almost hopped to Garuda Linux because it’s very pretty, but I eventually gave up and just decided to replicate the look and feel in openSUSE instead. Still using it, and I feel like I’m in a minority as I don’t know many people who run it. YaST is a godsend.

Yes, that’s it for my PC’s history. I also have a rusty laptop, but I don’t think I’ll throw it away anytime soon because I have AntiX installed. Lightweight, yet gorgeous. Only problem is Firefox sound doesn’t work, so I use Brave there. But all in all, it’s NOT a gaming rig: I use my laptop should today be a goodn’t day to get up. And I’m feeling too fancy not to use a phone.

Speaking of which, my current phone, Samsung Galaxy S8, had stock Android before, but I managed to install /e/OS on it. I only really hate the launcher (Bliss), and unfortunately, like many custom ROMS, it’s vulnerable due to having an unlocked bootloader. So I’m hoping that, once I save enough money, I’ll buy a Google Pixel 4 (or any of the derivatives) and flash GrapheneOS. I don’t use Google that much, anyway, and that means I don’t need microG. Sayonara bye-bye, push notifications.

That’s it from my side, sorry for the lengthy post there.

EDIT: Tl;dr openSUSE Tumbleweed on main PC, AntiX Linux on laptop, /e/OS on phone but thinking of getting GrapheneOS when I get a Pixel, too.