What Linux distro do you all use?

I am using latest Ubuntu because its convenient enough for me to just get working without having any real issues and if devs support linux, its usually Ubuntu.

I have thought of switching to Fedora, Manjaro, MXLinux, PureOS etc… but until the day comes when Canonical gets bought out by some mega-corp, then I am moving on to one of the following.

2 Likes

Err… does macOS count?

4 Likes

Unix, you use unix :wink:

4 Likes

I use DietPi for my home NAS/media server. It’s basically Debian/Raspbian with a bunch of useful tools for running DIY home servers on SBC boards.

1 Like

Linux mint cinnamon 19.1

3 Likes

Manjaro here. Hopped around a few distros but when it came to Manjaro, things ‘just worked’. Few niggles here and there once I spent more time in it, but nothing that would deter me. If it wasn’t for Rekordbox (and the odd Windows only game), I’d get rid of my Windows disk and boot only Manjaro.

1 Like

It was Windows 10 that convinced me to switch to Linux!! :rofl:

1 Like

It’s a Unix system…I know this!!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum mate!

2 Likes

Maybe after the least favourite distribution opening I should answer here.

Debian Testing. While having a burnout I broke Arch Linux and found it too much to repair or reinstall in that situation and returned to Ubuntu MATE. Some time later I started wishing for newer packages and I got interested in Debian’s onion services which I found innovative and after deciding that PPAs are a thing of the past with Flatpak and Snap, I moved.

I also have Debian Buster (currently testing) in family, because I found Debian Stable/Stretch to be missing helpful features such as Plasma volume control having quick enable/disable buttons and plasma-discover-backend-flatpak & plasma-discover-backend-snap with which my family might actually install updates (but it still appears that I am doing that over mosh/ssh over Yggdrasil/.onion at times).

By the way, remember to always PasswordAuthentication no in sshd_config if you are new to Linux, you won’t regret it and I wish OpenSSH handled HiddenServiceExportCircuitID.

Edit 2019-08-04: Linking to Discussion: Yggdrasil so people can see ideas on what Yggdrasil can be used for.

2 Likes

I am on the same train as Jonah, but I would like to have at least one machine I use regularry run Linux. probably it will be a thinkpad, maybe a Dell (if touch works with a Linux distro as well).

But since I am so used to the MacOS way of working it is even hard to getting things done on windows nowadays. My Windos machine is mainly used for gaming. An the moment I need to get things done I am back on mac.

The Linux machine should become the default companies to the windows machine. I am even thinking of hacking them somehow together so I can watch movies or something while gaming.

So now to my question.
What distros would you recommend for someone switching from Mac? and especially what “skin”? (I have no clue what their proper name is.)

2 Likes

I’ve just installed pop os on my laptop, been enjoying it alot, but looking to go to debian or fedora haven’t decided yet.

1 Like

Check out elementaryOS, maybe.

1 Like

I will,
thanks for the recommendation

2 Likes

I would recommend something with the Deepin DE. it looks absolutly beautifull. fedora lately release version 30 with deepin support.

1 Like

I am currently running Antergos on one system and Manjaro on the other. However I will likely eventually get both on a pure Arch setup. I use KDE on both mostly for the customization options, but KDE has it’s weirdness.

1 Like

as recommended to me when departing Windows for good bit over a year ago I’ve converted household to Mint 19.1, prefer Cinnamon DE (good workflow setup with dock, panels and various spices). Also use Mint Mate and XFCE on two older systems.

1 Like

qubes-os and I love it !
beside battery life on laptop

3 Likes

Fedora is a mainstay for stability on my desktop. I use Void on my laptop.

May transition to Arch from Fedora on the desktop but it’s more of a fun project thing rather than me having a strong reason to switch.

1 Like

Dual boot Kubuntu for my home life and Kali for work related stuff.

1 Like