What is your daily search engine?

Why not just say “look it up” or “search for it”?

For anyone else interested in an alternative to these main sites, check out https://infinitysearch.ai/. It is another search engine that doesn’t track its users and has a newer design and feel to it compared to the current search engines. Obviously we are promoting our own product here but go and take a look for yourself if you’re interested in something new.

2 Likes

Any plans on going open source?

1 Like

Yes, we are currently planning on gradually making the service open source.

2 Likes

Nice, good to hear!

I still use Startpage, despite the fact they our now owned by not so privacy friendly company. Tried Qwant, but results are not so good. DDG is also fine for me

I use StartPage, Qwant and DuckDuckGo through SearX, but most of the time I see that only DuckDuckGo works.

Half year ago DDG.

Big fan of startpage, but moved to qwant after all the fuss. Discovered qwant sucks and now using ddg. Not as good as startpage, but better than qwant, but I can’t seem to be able to add it to Bromite. Any suggestions? I visited searx.me a lot but it still isn’t visible in the ‘visited earlier’ selection menu.

Edit: searx seems to be favoring ddg, even though I have other search engines selected. Is there an advantage to using ddg over search?

I used StartPage until it was sold.
I now use Duck Duck Go and searx (PrivacyTools)

I use DDG, unless I can’t get a result I’m looking for then I’ll use g! to get Google results.

Stopped using SP after the change in ownership.

Currently back to Google, need to switch to DDG, but I never liked their results.

FWIW, even when I had SP set as default, I used Google about 50% of the time for more in-depth or technical queries.

Apparently I have also moved to DuckDuckGo where I can have a black background, while the climate change still worries me.

Same here, ddg for now. I don’t believe changing search engine is a solution for climate change. I don’t fly, eat almost no meat or dairy, ride my bicycle to work - that won’t change anything either, but I feel a little less guilty regardless.

2 Likes

Good to know of another search engine, looks good so far.
Where do you get your results? Do you also have a crawler?

I would think on using it if you add some more features and if you open the source I think it would be the best option around there.

I don’t remember where I read it but someone said that the revenue they get is just when you click on ads, not from normal browsing, but I can’t prove. Maybe someone knows.

Also the energy consumption from a website like that is not that big compared to other services, anything in the internet consumes a lot, and it even helps since it replaces a lot of stuff that were made with paper in the old days. If one day we got a product that respects both privacy and the ecosystem, I’ll switch to that, for now I’ll stick with DDG since the PTio SearX instance is kinda buggy.

it even helps since it replaces a lot of stuff that were made with paper in the old days.

My gut says paper uses almost zero energy after being printed, and sequesters carbon (if you care about that), so 24/7 online access is much worse for the environment in the long-term. But, calculating a comparison requires too many assumptions, so you can get any answer you want.

https://invidio.us/watch?v=iZ499mdRgLU

Here you have a video that more or less calculates the energy consumption of the internet compared to all the paper-services that has replaced. It is totally more green that continue to print newspapers, books, calendars, organizers, etc.

No doubt plenty of people believe the same, but as I said, it all depends on assumptions and how you do the comparison. That video was entertaining, thanks, but it’s filled with guesses and factors of two uncertainties (according to them; could be higher). I’m sorry, but if you think that’s a “calculation” or convincing source, we’re gonna have to just move on.

Still, maintaining servers and computers to run the internet could be done with solar or wind energy, whereas producing paper still requires chopping trees and a whole other production process that burns a lot of Co2 and can’t be in any other way. If nowadays is not that greater than using paper, it is the way to go.