What firefox add-ons do you use?

(Moo Extremum) #1

Ever since I have gone into the privacy rabbit hole, I have always seen that people have a huge variety in what firefox add-ons they use. I thought, let’s hear what the people of privacytools are using.

3 Likes

I use ublock origin, nanodefender, https everywhere, decentraleyes, cookie autodelete and canvasblocker.

and i setup about:config like described on privacytools.io website.

(blacklight447) #3

I normally use Tor browser only, but when I have to settle with Firefox: Noscript, Ublock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere (configured to block all HTTP) Decentraleyes, CanvasBlocker.

1 Like
(Moo Extremum) #4

Oh, completely forgot to say what I use. I also mostly use Tor Browser, but when I have to do my unusual clearnet activity, I use firefox with HTTPS everywhere, Ublock Origin and Noscript. I also use librefox tweaks.

1 Like

Similar to Tecer, i use the following:

• Ublock Origin with all filter lists enabled, and all extra blocking features
  • Nanodefender
  • Privacy Badger
  • Location Guard
  • Don’t Touch My Tabs
  • Canvasblocker (with fake alpha and protect DOM.Window enabled).
  • Bloody Vikings
  • Temporary Container Tabs with the setting for a new temporary container for every new tab (Qubes for Firefox)
  • I don’t care about cookies
  • Smart Referer
  • HTTPS Everywhere in EASE mode
  • Invidition
  • Popup Blocker Ultimate
  • uMatrix
  • NoScript (with global scope allowed) - XSS protection only
  • Flagfox
  • Decentraleyes
  • NeatURL
    I also use privacy.resistfingerprinting, and turn off all recommendation services and snippets. Even though I take all of these precautions, I trust Mozilla so I leave telemetry enabled to help improve the product.
1 Like
(Paula) #6

Here is my list of addons I use:

(Ekrem) #7
  • Bitwarden
  • Container on the go
  • CSS Exfil Protection
  • Firefox Multi-Account Containers
  • FoxyProxy Standard
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • Lympha
  • Privacy Badger
  • uBlock Origin

Thanks, I just added CSS Exfil to my browser.

CSS Exfil Protection seems good. i try it.

(Mikaela Suomalainen) #10

My list is horrible and just keeps growing.

1 Like
(blacklight447) #11

I would advise people to be careful with plugins/extensions/add-ons. Add-ons are risky, they bring more attack surface, and you add yet another party you need to trust, the add-ons’ developer. Before installing add-ons, think about the following:

1. What does the add-on do and what is the impact of it?
  2. Who is the developer of this add-on?
  3. Is said add-on open source?
  4. Does the benefit of add-on outweigh the con of extra attack surface, and adding another party to trust.
7 Likes

I’ve used NoScript, Ublock Origin, and HTTPS Everywhere before. Should check out the others too! Do you ever have problems with site functionality?

(blacklight447) #13

Noscript would be the only one which really impacts your day to day browsing, and Ublock Origin could also, but the rest is basically a set and forget. Note though that this is not how I normally browse, its only my fallback option, I normally only use Tor browser.

1 Like

NoScript or uMatrix :stuck_out_tongue:

For when I have to use hardened firefox over tor, the addons I use are

• uBlock Origin(configured to block 3rd party scripts etc)
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • Decentraleyes
  • CanvasBlocker
  • Privacy Possum
1 Like
(Freddy Marsden) #16

The more extensions you use the more identifiable you are. Try to remove some that aren’t listed on the site.

2 Likes

Here are mine:

• CookieBro: I know, I should be using Cookie AutoDelete instead. However, when I tried it, the interface wasn’t accessible for screen readers. The options didn’t have any check boxes, buttons or other ways to select them, so I couldn’t get it to start deleting cookies.
  • Decentraleyes
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • Invidition: I know, I shouldn’t have too many add-ons. But it’s pretty convenient to have automatic redirects to invidio.us, both when I open YouTube and when it’s imbedded somewhere.
  • Privacy Badger: I’m thinking about getting rid of this one. It doesn’t seem to block all that much that uBlock doesn’t.
  • uBlock Origin: With all the third party filters in the options enabled. I need to look around on filterlists.com to see if there are any other important ones there. Any recommendations?

I’ve also made a whole lot of changes to my about:config, from several different privacy guides. I need to try out NoScript and see if I’m smart enough to get it to work. :slight_smile:
EDIT: Good news, I’ve been able to get Cookie AutoDelete to work. I can access the toolbars in Firefox now, using the Mozilla Apps Enhancements add-on for NVDA. It’s not perfect; I still can’t edit the settings, so I can’t enable the cleaning of local storage, but at least I can enable the cleaning mode now.
I also installed Easy to RSS, because I don’t want to use IE to search for RSS feeds anymore. I really wish Firefox still had that feature.

(Jose A: Leon) #18

The same as blacklight447 but I also modify the settings in about:config

1 Like

3 Likes