We're a privacy search engine and we just went fully open source

“Only one” doesn’t say who owns it.

The Google Play Store app language is very similar to the language on the website. I also found some other info that might link the two of them. Could you weigh in on this @InfinitySearch?

1 Like

That’s fine! If you wanted to translate the pages you could send us the results through email, twitter, this forum, or GitLab and we could do the part of integrating in the different languages and changing the code.

No, we are not affiliated that play store app. We do not currently have any applications on the Google play store. All that we currently have is this Firefox extension.

Here are our thoughts on P2P. We had a Twitter thread about it here. Generally speaking, P2P has a long ways to go before it can catch up to the efficiency of centralized search engines, so our service will not be completely decentralized until then. We do, however, want to have a version of our search engine that is P2P that users can choose to use instead of the centralized one. When this happens, the code for this will also be open source.

2 Likes

The app on the play store is not related to us.

You may have missed this post since we put our company information on a different page than our privacy information.

Okay, I’ll try to do it when I have some time, maybe on January.

If anyone’s interested, here’s a link that redirects to Nitter instead: https://nitter.net/InfinitySearch1/status/1206623302237724672

Wow, really cool, I wish this project gets released soon. Some people on /r/privacy complained about not being P2P, I’ll show them these posts to see what they think about it.

I understand that some information is available on your privacy policy and your blog, and I don’t know how much you frequent reddit, but Liz has been working there for some months now on this project which is basic questions that should be asked to all providers. I think that PTio’s team is endorsing this, but I’m not sure, nevertheless answering to those would highly improve the trust of some users. It would be very kind of you if you could take your time, when you have it.

2 Likes

That’s great! Where can I keep up with that?

Here is our full response to all of the important questions to ask privacy companies. Sorry for the delayed response.

1. Who owns the company/organization? What percentage does each owner hold? (December 31 of prior year and current date)

Infinity Search is owned by an Oklahoma company, by one person. Currently, Infinity Search is a business ran from home, which makes addressing the company name and address a privacy concern for the owner. When we get an office and update our address, we will release our company name and address, which will be done shortly now that people have shown interest in our company and our service is becoming more popular.

1. Have you changed how information is processed and shared in the last year?

No, we have not.

1. Do you share data – even “fuzzed” or “anonymized” data – with any of the owners/shareholders or any other company or organization server?

To measure site usage, we use Fathom Analytics. They do not track or store our visitors’ personal information and give us site metrics by taking anonymous data. This article published by them describes how they manage this: https://usefathom.com/news/anonymization. Their demo page displays what a site owner can see about their users: https://app.usefathom.com/share/lsqyv/pjrvs.

Since we are using the Microsoft’s Cognitive Services API, the searches that have been made on our behalf are saved by Microsoft. It just appears to Microsoft as us making the searches, however. We also use the DuckDuckGo Instant Answers API, which works the same way.

1. Please share a diagram showing how information flows when a user interacts with your service.

There is not a need for a diagram here because we can explain it easily in words. A user comes to our site and searches for something, we make the search on their behalf and display the results on their page without ever logging any identifiable information about them. On all of our pages, we have a Fathom Analytics script that takes unidentifiable data about our users for site metrics.

1. Which components of your service are not open source? Where can we find the code for the open source components?

All of our code is open source! It can all be found at https://gitlab.com/infinitysearch/infinity-search.

We are also working on other search services that include a web crawler, indexer, and our desktop version of Infinity Search that will also be open source. These are still in the early stages of development, however, and they will be released sometime in the future.

1. Have you had any independent audits in the last three years? Please share the dates of those audits and audit reports.

No. We are a new service and have never had an audit of any kind. Since our service is open source, anyone is welcome to view our code, analyze it for their concerns, and inform us of the results.

1. If you require sign-up or account creation, do consumers have easy access to tools to delete their data? Can they delete everything on the servers or just the local cache?

We do not have account creation or ever store any information about our users.

1. Is there a way for consumers to view any information you have collected about them?

We do not collect any information about our viewers, so there is nothing to show.

1. What is your business model? How do you fund operations and make money?

We make money in three ways: non-tracking advertisements, our Infinity Search Pro desktop application (coming soon), and affiliate links.

1. Do you offer a transparency report?

No. We do not know what a transparency report entails but we would be willing to make one.

1. How is data secured (in transit and at rest)?

Our service always uses the HTTPS protocol such that all connections are encrypted. We also send our searches through POST data by default to so that user searches are not visible in their browser history.

1. Who has access to customer data?

Fathom Analytics takes the unidentifiable user information for privacy based analytics. This is how they manage it. In other words, no one has access to identifiable customer data.

1. What 3rd parties have access to customer data?

Please refer to question 12.

1. What processes do you have in place if there is unauthorized access to data?

We do not log or save any data of our own and our code is open source, so this scenario does not apply to our service.

1. What customer data is collected, how often, and in what level of identification?

Please refer to question 3.

1. Will changes to your Terms & Conditions and privacy policies be communicated to end users at least 30 days in advance of any changes? How will these changes be communicated?

Yes. If we are going to make changes to our privacy policy we will notify our users through our blog posts and through Twitter at least 30 days in advance. We also do not plan any making any changes to our policy in the foreseeable future.

If anyone wants us to expand on these questions we will gladly do so.

1 Like

Thanks so much for answering the questions! I DO understand why you need to wait to release more information on the owner and respect that. Please do that soon so you can be trusted and listed as a privacy service. We need more private search engines!

2 Likes

You can keep up with us on our blog, on Twitter, on Nitter if you want a different front-end to Twitter, or on GitLab.

Glad to hear you’re interested!

We appreciate it and we’ll try to get that done as soon as possible!

Thanks for open sourcing!

1 Like

Try https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/API/Window/sidebar/Adding_search_engines_from_Web_pages

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you very much for the links and assistance. We are very close to getting it to work correctly on our own but the external extension, Search Engine Helper, does work in making us your default search engine in Firefox with the Search URL as https://infinitysearch.co/?q=%s.

We are attempting to get it to work on our own with our search.xml file https://gitlab.com/infinitysearch/infinity-search/blob/master/static/search.xml but this method is still giving us technical difficulties which we will fix as soon as possible.

1 Like

Making Infinity Search your default search engine in Firefox is now an easy task!

Here is our documentation on how to do it: https://gitlab.com/infinitysearch/make-us-your-default-search-engine.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Fathom Analytics

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lobsters – a computing-focused community

What it sounds like to me is Infinity Search might complement Yacy as well. I’d use Yacy for local searches ( Generally my Gitea repositories ), and use Infinity Search for other stuff.

One gripe about some search engine more generally, you’re looking up something, and sometimes you end up with completely irrelevant results:

Ex. Searching for what makes Spanish and French music different, turning up a Huffpost article on why Spanish people aren’t Latinos. Interesting, but that doesn’t pertain to what I searched for.