Want to change Operating System

Hi mates,
I’m a windows 10 User.
I bought this laptop in 2017 and from those times I’ve to use Windows 10. Everybody knows that Windows 10 is a junk and totally a privacy stealing machine. That’s why I really want to change my Operating system.

If We open “Taskbar” on windows, We can see that at least 108 Progress is running on the background. On the other hand, Windows 7 has just 28-30 Progress currently running on the taskbar. Windows 10 really make the machine Slow.

I tried to change my Operating system several times from Windows 10 to 7. But, Whenever I complete my OS Installation complete, then I Can’t Install the necessary drivers on the machine like graphics, sound and etc drivers. It says “This software is incompatible with this operating system”.

Without the installation of drivers, It’s impossible to run a PC. If I can’t switch from Window 10 to Windows 7, Then It’s maybe impossible to switch to Linux. Can anyone Give me any suggestion about this? :face_with_thermometer::face_with_thermometer:

Here is my PC Configuration
Capture

One advantage of Linux, is it’s support, even for rare or legacy hardware, if you can’t found or make a proprietary driver, good chances that an open-source driver alternative support it, for example, the nouveau drivers should certainly be able to support your graphics card, if you won’t be able to install the proprietary ones. I still suggest you trying to install a linux distribution in order to replace your Windows 10 copy, as it should actually be a lot more compatible than your Windows 7 copy.
If you want, I can manually search each of your components drivers support on Linux.

For those who want to help, I’ve already searched the manual and the product page of that user model already.

3 Likes

It will be so much Helpful for me, if you search each of your components drivers support on Linux for me. You also can give me the link so that I can download. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

That’s a lot to ask someone to do for you. Pick the Linux distro that you want to use and for the most part it will handle drivers. If it can’t find them, just search for them online and find the solution.

While it’s not my favorite distribution, Ubuntu usually does a great job of this. I have personally found that Fedora does as well.

I would recommend doing some research about Linux. I recommend Linux Mint or Manjaro if you choose to use Linux as they are good for beginners. I use Manjaro. It supports most drivers and all programs are updated to latest version.
You will be able to test the Linux distro with a live DVD before installing.

2 Likes

Evening all, and also Tarik,

I switched over on a Lenovo laptop running windows 10 to linux mint and I have loved the software, the main thing I miss is apple music/ itunes (which has changed now), but that’s all, otherwise the whole software has been amazing and well set up.

Meamwhile installing from windows 10 I followed these steps:
~got a USB at least 15GBs worth…
~downloaded linux mint
~Use Balenaetcher to burn ISO file to USB
~ Restart computer and Load up linux mint to run and see if it works well on your computer, then install by the icon on the desktop
~there are great installation guides on youtube for how to setup linuxmint properly, or a guide at least. I used this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AFuhVSvEk

I hope this helps towards your question

4 Likes

What drivers do you require? Most of the drivers you’ll require are already included with Ubuntu. Windows 7 doesn’t, you’d have to slipstream them into your ISO image. I don’t think it’s worth it though when you can just install Ubuntu. Why not give it a try without installing it at first? I recommend Xubuntu as it’s lightweight and it feels very much like Windows 7. I agree, Windows 10 is filled with bloatware, I switched to Linux full time the day it came out. If you need any further assistance, don’t be afraid to ask. :nerd_face:

As far as I can see, @PoorPocketsMcNewHold offered to help out. I do agree that it’s unnecessary though @tarik when Ubuntu has all of the drivers you’ll require. Just try it out, you’ll be amazed!

1 Like

So: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/X456UA/specifications/

Intel® Core™ i7 6500U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i5 6200U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i3 6100U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i7 7500U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i5 7200U Processor,
    Intel® Core™ i3 7100U Processor,

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-i3-7100&num=1
Outside the Intel processor series, which is indeed supported, I can’t really have many more details on the actual configuration build, so I will give you the free way to do your Linux upgrade.

1 Like

Thank you so much.

1 Like