Toxic User Mentality?

:wave: :wave: :wave:

2 Likes

Quite right. I go to great lengths to protect myself against spam (and therefore phishing). As a result, I almost never get any spam.

The only spam I do receive from time to time is on one of my “real” email addresses, which I never give out, except to people I know personally. However, a family member with no specific computer skills had his email hacked… and of course my address was right there.

I’m sure other communities exhibit this sort of behaviour, but tech attracts the sort of people devoid of social skills “whose privacy is better than yours”.

1 Like

Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments…it’s ok, you’ve probably never heard of them. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Hahahah! You know what’s funny? I just looked at that and got hungry (and I had just eaten as well). Welcome to the community, by the way.

I completely agree. When I first began my journey into the Privacy world, I almost abandoned it due to the attitudes of many users (luckily I didn’t). Just because a user does not the same level of privacy does not mean they do not care about their privacy. Everyone has different threat models. It is of course ok to give friendly recommendations, but being toxic about it makes it worse for everyone.

1 Like

Haha, thanks.

1 Like

For me it actually made it easier to transition, I’m not sure if it’s the right way to switch though, but in the beginning I kind of saw it as a competition, see how quickly I can develop my privacy setup / habits. Of course, this lead to privacy fatigue, because I didn’t know enough about how the tools I used worked and what purpose they fulfilled, I just knew they were good for privacy. After I relaxed a bit more I started researching how the tools actually worked and what they protected me against, I got comfortable with my setup. It could help someone if they see things more as a competition, but of course this really differs per person.

3 Likes

Yes of course the competitiveness of it could help people, but it also leads to problems as you have stated. If people merely use the recommended servers without knowing why, it doesn’t help in the long run. Services change and could adopt new policies and they would not increase their knowledge about internet privacy.

1 Like

I don’t see it as you do.
I see more defensive attitude than reactive. What I dislike in any forum, is seeing posts deleted if they contain negative comments or information about how the site is operated. I see too many hosts ignoring facts and running defense, irregardless of the hard-core data facing them. Too often, when the host fails to observe a issue, or back-peddles on issues, they will just delete the discussion and block the user.

Hosts must learn that they can’t always be right and if someone says ‘Hey - your site is still using stalkers’, instead of deleting the post, the Host should look outside the bubble and examine the ‘issue’ - not respond with gobbledygook just to look better in other readers eyes.

Then, to add injury to insult, are the self-proclaimed experts that belittle everyone else with ‘noobs’, or 'normies" or run off at the keyboard using unnecessary and confusing techineze.

Outweighing the negatives are those that volunteer their time and actually help others, regardless of how ‘new’ that person might be to the topic.

1 Like

These days it’s “I use Arch, btw!” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was actually in the process of installing Arch (as a virtual machine on top of Ubuntu) and had quit about halfway through - perhaps I’ll continue!

For the most part, on here, I haven’t encountered these users, but someone else was talking to me about it. It’s probably that I wasn’t a part of the threads they were participating in. I have found the users here to be very helpful and informative, and I’ve even made some new friends!

IMO, I guess that, boiled down, it means that if one has a opinion and it isn’t praise, or it’s not like someone else’s or a troll is haunting the place, then it’s “toxic”.

Just sign me, cynically facetious :slight_smile:

A cynic is a noob with years of experience.

p.s. Sorry for delay, but I just saw a notice of your reply.

1 Like

Couldn’t your response seem “toxic” to anyone that posts even one meme? I mean, so what if someone wants to post memes? It’s not hard to scroll past them - they are easy enough to ignore if one wants to. Let’s face it, “toxic” is too often just a cry-bully word.

Should the rules here be 'Posting memes are not allowed"?

1 Like

Just for fun…

courts-of-social-media

1 Like

Oh, don’t I know it?! This has already happened to me too many times…

Oh, of course. Actually, what prompted this was a conversation I was having with someone, and he was referring to “toxic power users,” who are so convinced of their expertise that they won’t listen to any advice, and will stick to their guns even if they’ve been proven wrong.

For example, let’s say someone points out “Matrix has been compromised and shouldn’t be used right now - you should switch to Signal,” but the power user just says “Matrix is the best and most anonymous protocol, and I will use nothing else.” In other words, even in the face of irrefutable evidence to the contrary, the “power user” insists that they’re right.

Memes, on the other hand, I have no problem with! :joy:

Ahhh. I know the kind of person you mean - I call them “wannabe politicians” and their supporters I call “Apathacans”.

[ˌapəˈTHe kəˈn]

ADJECTIVE
hua
Short for Apathetic Can adian also applied to Ameri can relating to or characteristic of Canada or the U.S. and its apathetic inhabitants:

• “the Apathacan ignores government’s anti-privacy laws”.

NOUN

a apathetic native or apathetic inhabitant of Canada or United States of America.:

• “a 27-year-old Apathcan from Des Moines, IA 50301 said “What - me worry?”
  • " I am not worried about what others see for I’ve nothing to hide."
  • “I am not a criminal so I don’t mind sharing all my information.”
  • “Google has info about me that I don’t care about.”

You read it hear first.
~o~

1 Like