Threema is now open source

Good news: https://threema.ch/en/blog/posts/open-source-discount

Compared to other messengers, Threema now seems to be the best: https://www.securemessagingapps.com/

What do you think?

4 Likes

Finally some good fucking news

I really like Threema and its pseudonymous accounts. This seems like good news. I have yet to encounter anyone in the wild running Threema, unfortunately.

1 Like

It is very easy to convince your contacts of the benefits of a trustworthy messenger:
I refuse to use WhatsApp. If someone wants to communicate with me, he has to do this via Signal or Threema. Usually the acquaintances follow this suggestion.

1 Like

I think my contacts suffer from messenger fatigue. They already have iMessage, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Google Hangouts, and probably a few other crappy ones. Trying to convince them to get another one like Signal or Threema in order to talk to me hasn’t gone well (you must be more interesting than I am :wink: ).

1 Like

Except they don’t and you can’t force people to switch apps because of yourself. That’s why I still am forced to use Whatsapp for some of my friends and for work, instead of moving entirely to Telegram, which is already a very popular alternative.

2 Likes

Sometimes it requires some education. A lot of people still think they don’t have anything to hide. But if I explain to them that not every party (e.g. governments or criminals) has to know eveything about them (e.g. political beliefs or vacation absences), they start reconsidering it.

You’re oversimplyfing this. Going full on unsolicited SJW on people only produces antipathy.

You might even explain this stuff to them if they’re willing to listen, but you can be sure few if any of them will switch, especially because the entire social life of people is deeply interwined with apps like Whatsapp/Instagram/etc, depending on what was massively adopted in a certain country. In Asian countries, Line is in place of Whatsapp for example.

There’s no way dozens of people will change apps just to have a chat or work with who could be considered a snowflake of the group. If you’re a freelance with 3 friends, maybe it could work if they care enough. Otherwise, you’re at the mercy of what’s the mass adoption.

1 Like

Are you speaking from experience or based on assumptions?

I completely refuse to use WhatsApp or similar questionable software.
All the people to whom I have politely and unobtrusively explained why I do so, have had no problem with quickly downloading free, easy to use and trustworthy software.
I have found that there are predominantly two reasons from people not to switch: lack of knowledge or laziness!

Who on earth is simplifying things here? If experienced users don’t advocate for the right thing, who else should?
Are you always ready to surrender to the opinion of the majority?

Totally agree you should advocate for privacy respecting software and take the time to educate friends and family, if they are receptive and willing. I have had a less than stellar conversion rate which surprises me because my friends are in the demographic of people I think should care. Perhaps my arguments need honing.

1 Like

Everyone’s experiences advocating a switch away from privacy-disrespecting tools has interested me. So I’m no longer following this thread because of discussions around Threema being open source :wink:

I’ve met mixed results advocating to my personal network. By mixed results, I mean:

• Several close contacts are now on Signal :white_check_mark:
  • My closest contact is now on Threema :white_check_mark:
  • A few close contacts and some others are on WhatsApp :no_good_woman:

Because I don’t find that explanations work often on their own, I decided on another strategy-I used a tool which I typically only use in my professional activities: I published a sunset/deprecation blog post.

I explained simply why I could not keep using certain products. Then I listed 3 key items:

• The product/service being sunset
  • The replacement product
  • The timeline

IMO the timeline here is key. Like with products I’ve worked on, I gave people plenty of time to process what I was doing.

So in this case, I put dates between 6 months and 18 months, depending on the product (how offensive it is, balanced with competitor feature parity/tradeoffs). And I said I wouldn’t be available on those services after the sunset date. Nothing asking readers to switch.

1. I published the post.
  2. I screenshot the timeline table, and sent it to a couple of people/groups, with the post URL.

Now, 1 month ahead of the first deadline (after a single reminder, repeat of #2), the last key group on WhatsApp is getting ready to switch.

I used WhatsApp as an example because we’re talking about messengers, but I also listed other services. I intend to use the post as a roadmap across all tools I use in my networks.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: Yes, I’m speaking with some experience; are you talking from your ass instead?

If you, somehow, magically convince every single person and all your group chats to switch apps, good for you. But I doubt it. Mass adoption is what matters. We’re talking about essential chat apps here that have replaced SMS, not some random socials you can voluntarily avoid. I sure can’t force all my workplace to switch apps as your presumed Jedi mind tricks do. Nor my group chats of friends.

What do you do then, be antisocial? If you can and want, great; I can’t avoid it in some of my cases. So I suck it up and mod Whatsapp. Who wants to can use other apps. I use Telegram with some of my family members and friends that wanted to listen and try.

Outside of this forum, you and I will never have contact, because you only use untrusted channels like Telegram:

I don’t want to convince you further. But I want to close to other readers of this conversation: a convincing data protection strategy looks different.
IMHO no one can own only half of data privacy. Either I do it thoroughly or also the other, permeable measures are superfluous.

I bought Threema app (from their store, and downloaded .apk). I suppose it’s ok in terms of privacy (no need for phone number or email, had 3rd party audit, now client is open-source…), but I don’t like features. There is no message editing (just like Signal), no desktop client, web client is active only if phone is active (just like WA, though they are working on it, just like WA), no calls via web app, etc. So there is no particular reason for me to use it, since the only contact I have there, also uses Signal and Wire.

Yeah. I like the pseudonymous aspects, but its fallen behind in terms of functionality (like you pointed out). It also isn’t, as far as I am aware, employing and sort of forward secrecy so any key compromise is really bad news. For whatever reason, I really like Threema, but I can’t think of any reason to pick it over the competitors.

Really great, such a shame I have to pay to use it and I will never be able to do that and make people to move to that platform because I would have to pay all of their accounts, yay.

No need to complain: Fortunately, there is still an alternative with Signal, which is even free of charge.

Its really good informations for all (old but good).
Thank you.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Threema have Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) just on data transport layer. Otherwise, I’m a user of Threema :sunglasses:

1 Like

I imagine telegram to be better then whats app however you do know that it isn’t encrypted unless you employ the secret chat feature?

1 Like