Thoughts on Antivirus software

Clam Av and rkhunter

Which one is better Adguard or Malwarebytes?

I’ll just leave this here…

1 Like

Cannot wait to hear which 3.

even if you use windows, its mostly just using common sense.

at this point AV software is pretty much spyware anyway.

For Windows users, Windows Defender + Malwarebytes should be good enough.

1 Like

Adguard is an adblocker, Malwarebytes is antimalware…

On computers: Use uBlock Origin for adblocking in your browser, Malwarebytes + [Whatever your OS comes with] for antivirus/antimalware.

On iOS: Antimalware/Antivirus isn’t necessary, and the MalwareBytes mobile app doesn’t appear to be super useful. I do use Adguard Pro on iOS for Safari content blocking.

Thanks for the clarification. I use Adguard both on android(+ublock and other stuff in FF) and PC. So far no issues.

Antivirus software isn’t really a good idea since most all of it either costs money or is free but collects and steals your data. Windows Defender is probably good enough for Windows 10, but if you used Mac or Linux, you wouldn’t have to worry about AV software since they don’t get viruses like Windows.

I just use the content filter of Adguard pro, then use their DNS servers for in-app advertisements.

Doesn’t mean that MacOS doesn’t get malware at all, I recommend Malwarebytes as a pre-caution.

I usually use Windows Defender, but my main system is a GNU/Linux system. I generally don’t use any there.

1 Like

Anti malware applications have proven to be less secure not only because of what they do these days, but what they make people believe.
Normals users (the ones that would need assistance defending themselves online) tend to think a system is not infected when the av tells them that everything is fine.
Even after an infection… They download some cleaning tools, run the av scan again and if it doesn’t find anything they believe the system can be trusted again.

1 Like

my current position on A/V software is outlined here…

Malware – It’s worse than you think – 12Bytes.org

a quote from that article…

My view on the subject of anti-malware/security suite software may be quite different than that of most casual computer users. I think that one of the primary keys to securing your system is a lack of stupidity rather than anti-virus software, and that relying on an anti-virus product for protection is tantamount to relying on guard rails to keep your car on the road.

1 Like

I use Linux and to my knowledge, I’ve never gotten a virus! For a brief time, I was using ClamAV, but as blacklight447 pointed out, it just increases your attack surface and only cleans up the mess after you have a problem.

The worst virus I ever got on Windows had somehow disguised itself as an “update” to the antivirus program I had at the time, and basically replicated the appearance of the program, but downloaded malicious software in abundance. I ended up having to remove it manually (which was not fun). In that instance, the antivirus program was pretty worthless.

Linux can get malware - Linux malware but it’s far less likely. Part of it has to do with the way Linux is designed (root permissions, etc.), whereas Windows was originally designed to be a multi-user system (and that’s part of the problem).

Howtogeek made this point about one of the reasons why Windows systems tend to get the most malware: " In addition, Windows XP’s autorun feature automatically ran applications on media devices connected to the computer. This allowed Sony to install a rootkit on Windows systems by adding it to their audio CDs, and savvy criminals began leaving infected USB drives lying around near companies they wanted to compromise. If an employee picked up the USB drive and plugged it into a company computer, it would infect the computer. And, because most users logged in as Administrator users, the malware would run with administrative privileges and have complete access to the computer."

mmmhmmm - been there :slight_smile:

with malware being as sophisticated as it is today, the best solution may be to reinstall the OS … which is a lot easier if you keep your personal junk on a separate partition

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t use that particular computer anymore, but I guess if something like that comes up in the future, that’s what I’ll do. By the way, been checking out your site. Good information!

1 Like

ClamAV seems to be more useful for finding Windows viruses than Linux ones. For example if you’re running a public file upload service or email server, and you want to make sure you’re not spreading them to clients that would be vulnerable.

There are endpoint security solutions for Linux but they probably aren’t necessary for most consumers.

1 Like

Yeah also remember again, an anti virus scanner is not a defence, its a tool to clean up your mess AFTER your defences have failed. An actule defence is something like a firewall, restricted permissions, etc.–