This forum is dead

I also prefer the forum. It’s true is not as active sometimes but just because it’s not bursting with activity means it’s dead or should be shut down. It’s still useful and you can always go back and read previous topics (or use the search functionality to find something that has been already covered).

1 Like

I’m not dead… still here

5 Likes

What kind of dog is that ? A poodle ?

2 Likes

Btw guys, this topic has been viewed 900 times (as of right now) so it’s definitely not dead. If we could have the 850 who don’t write anything to participate in the forum regularly we’ll be buzzing with life and attracting more people.

1 Like

the Forum because reddit is full of sh!t

2 Likes

I removed PTIO subreddit from my favorites yesterday evening because this forum is so much better in terms of respect etc… I still have some other subreddits I am still following for now (for example Protonmail, SelfHosting, Bitwarden…) but I’m seriously thinking to try Mastodon and follow those companies from Mastodon (I didn’t check yet but I assume ProtonMail and Bitwarden may have a Mastodon instance). Ideally I want to ditch Reddit completely. Following PTIO news and learning about privacy was what bring me to Reddit to begin with.

1 Like

well im on those other subreddits for in case i want to ask something not just follow news so this way wont work with me :joy:

Protonmail are available in Mastodon Mastodon

Bitwarden - Still waiting for them to join Mastadon

1 Like

@amorphous thank you. I think I’ll try Mastodon later this week-end and see if I like it or not.

edit : btw the Mastodon instance for PTIO is invite only. If anyone wants to invite me feel free to do it (do you need my email or can it be done from the forum here ? pm ?)
edit 2 : got an invite by PM. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

The majority of people on the Internet are always lurkers. You need to put the forum in front of more eyeballs.

Off. How come this topic has no category? Bug or feature? I’m unable to open a topic without adding a category. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like the discussion forum format, although Reddit is good for some topics. The upvote/downvote system works for certain things (for instance, the subreddit r/deepweb tends to attract a lot of conspiracy theories, and thus things that are irrelevant get downvoted).

1 Like

Looks like this forum isn’t dead. :^)

I strongly prefer this forum to PrivacyTools’ other discussion outlets. It’s rather difficult to have long discussions on the Matrix server, and discussions on reddit similarly tend to be short-lived. I’ve found using Discourse meanwhile has a user experience that encourages sustained discussion, allowing for more diverse and comprehensive responses to questions, news, or topics. Arguably the most important difference is that it sorts topics by last reply, by default.

The subreddit is certainly not lacking in its variety of topics, and it’s difficult for me to dispose of reddit completely because of that. However I think the ideal that the PrivacyTools forum accomplishes best not be abandoned so soon. For the love of privacy, this forum should be promoted.

3 Likes

I think we should shutdown the subbreddit and redirect users to this forum.
Reddit is cancer.

2 Likes

I wish we could. Unforunately we have so many users on reddit who don’t even know about our website, let alone our forum. I’d love to scrap the reddit but we simply can’t.

2 Likes

I learnt about the Reddit sub from the website (which I used to visit regularly since 2015). I was not really into coming on the forum etc (because I thought it would be too much time consuming)… but after some time on the Reddit sub being insulted daily by others I decided I was fed-up and had a quick look on the forum here and it seemed so peaceful and a nice place ! So I started spending less and less time on Reddit and finally just closed my account there and I don’t regret my change at all. The only thing I regret : not having made the switch from Reddit to here before. Thank you people here to make this place so nice and thanks to the admins to administrate things here.

5 Likes

Our (maybe) unpopular opinion:
We should all work together, independently of “who uses which service.”

When it comes to privacy, so many people focus on “How can I protect my web traffic from my spying ISP?” or “What to do against the NSA’s mass surveillance?” They cite Snowden leaks that are already more than seven years old and just repeat the “My ISP spies on me” story spread by commercial VPN service providers.

Most people forget about the average online criminal, their cyber hygiene, or daily data breaches. A VPN proxy server doesn’t protect weakly-secured online accounts. A Fediverse/XMPP/Matrix/e-mail server still stores most data in cleartext. Then, many of these “privacy-friendly alternatives” are companies processing personal data (aka PII) and earning money. They mostly aren’t “better people” who just want to help for free. On the other hand, we see individuals hosting “alternatives” on virtual servers, but they don’t host these services securely.

In our opinion, altogether avoiding anything from Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, etc., is unrealistic in 2020. And more importantly, we shouldn’t force other people to migrate to our favorite service because it is “somehow better.” For instance, some people say, “Abandon Twitter; migrate to the open and free Fediverse.” Afterward, some former tweeters create an account in the Fediverse (e.g., via Mastodon), try it for several days, and abandon their account permanently.

If we are continually forcing others to become like ourselves, they will likely develop resistance against us. (Imagine somebody tells you to migrate to WhatsApp every day while you don’t want it. How would you react?) In the end, they still use their services as before and ignore any of our statements in the future.

So, it is vital to understand each other’s needs, use cases, and threat model. There is no perfect “one-size-fits-all” service on the internet. Everything comes with benefits, but also drawbacks.

4 Likes

Good question! Forum (especially Discourse, the one we’re using), no doubt. I think Reddit is more like a social news sharing without any possibilities of having a long-lasting deep discussion on a specific topic. In particular I hate posts not being able to be “commented”/(dis)liked anymore after 6 months, what’s bad with “necroposting” if still consistent?

I don’t have a reddit account though I do follow what’s going on with r/privacytoolsio via my RSS feed. This forum is the only way I can engage and I’m glad it exists even if it isn’t as active as the subreddit.

3 Likes