ThinkPrivacy joins privacytools.io

Earlier this month, ThinkPrivacy, an online privacy resource, joined privacytools.io in a move that will bring the two sites together in order to bring privacy education to a larger audience, helping make privacy-respecting apps, resources, and services more accessible to users of all types.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.privacytools.io/thinkprivacy-joins-privacytools/
3 Likes

TLDR: I do fully support that move, since we cannot expect beginners to jump from 0 to 100 in days - remember it took us months & years. I feel thinkprivacy is going to be a great step in achieving that guidance!

A privacy advocate myself, working full time in the scene, it’s always been a struggle how to approach friends and family.
It’s these two extremes we’re all trying to connect: People who don’t give a sh*t and people who do care, and they do care very strongly. But that gap is enormous!!

Let’s take the webbrowser for example, having a friend uninstall Chrome is one thing, but what should he install as a replacement? Firefox with all about:config settings? no way, he won’t do that, it’s too complicated, it’s too big of a step!

What did I do? I recommended Brave. And I rarely say this publicly - since hardcore privacy enthusiasts shudder and rage whenever Brave is mentioned as a privacy alternative, and I understand their concerns. But for a newbie in the field of tech & privacy, for all our un-savvy mums & dads, it is a great option! One click, all set up. Ad-Blockers and basic anti fingerprinting mechanisms included.

Nobody of us has arrived where we are today in a matter of weeks. It took me, and you for sure, months and years to come to the point where we are today. It is unfair to expect others to make the giant leaps we made in a matter of hours.

I fully support your move. You are creating a space where it’s okay to talk about all the steps in between (Brave) until people mature enough to move to the real solutions (hardened FF). I applaud your work :clap: in doing that - can’t wait for the day where I can simply share https://thinkprivacy.io/ to my newbie friends and know they won’t feel overwhelmed (as some do with privacytools atm).

4 Likes

For the record, we recommend Firefox without all the about:config settings :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yea I’m considering helping my parents out with configuring Firefox, although for now they’re satisfied with Windows unfortunately.

1 Like

Next to the fact that my internal skepticism is automatically questioning that decision :slight_smile: , I have not gotten those vibes from the website so far. I feel this passage strongly recommends to correctly configure the about:config section

Firefox is fast, reliable, open-source, and respects your privacy. Don’t forget to adjust the settings according to our recommendations: WebRTC and about:config and get the privacy add-ons.

Or are you referring to other texts?

1 Like

The vibes on privacytools.io in general are not the message we want to give to these people:

So, when you say:

You would be correct, because that is what we recommend to our audience. But for non-tech-savvy people we (the team) recommend Firefox without the fancy configurations, because is is still better than Chrome, which is what I was trying to say. As opposed to Chrome or Brave or another alternative. And that is the message we will try to spread with thinkprivacy.io in the future. If that makes sense.

2 Likes

where is the Git Repo of https://thinkprivacy.io?