The VPN + Tor Debate

Hi everyone…new here but hope to contribute a lot. I’ve heard many opinions on whether or not a VPN is “necessary” when using Tor. My impression is that it doesn’t add much if you use Tor all the time, but if there’s any advantage, what would it be?

One of the disadvantages of a VPN through Tor, as I understand it, is that Tor is “trustless,” whereas you’re putting your trust in a VPN provider. Doesn’t this defeat the purpose of Tor, more or less?

1 Like

Well first and for most, Tor isn’t trust less, its distributed trust, there is no single place you can go and ask for data, you need to have all your three nodes work together to compromise you. anyway Ill will just give you this article written by Matt Traudt here, which explains it better then I can: https://matt.traudt.xyz/posts/vpn-tor-not-mRikAa4h.html (.onion version: http://zfob4nth675763zthpij33iq4pz5q4qthr3gydih4qbdiwtypr2e3bqd.onion/posts/vpn-tor-not-mRikAa4h.html )

TLDR: a VPN with Tor often does nothing, rarely helps, but also rarely hurts.

3 Likes

Don’t use a VPN provider in general, really… There’s very few use-cases where they make sense.

2 Likes

Yeah, especially considering that tor covers most cases for free.

2 Likes

I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty sure that by using Tor you are putting yourself on your ISP’s list of suspicious people. Also I’m pretty sure using Tor in school is a pretty bad idea!

1 Like

See also Why you should NOT use a VPN with Tor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And when you have gotten everyone to run Tor, the ISP’s list of suspicious people is broken. For using Tor in school, there are bridges. Wouldn’t using a VPN in school also be suspicious?

4 Likes

Tor has milions of daily users, so there would be no point keeping a list as you would have to run to mass surveillance anyway, which already happens to people not on “the list”.

Also the argument is rather bad: Its like saying that the FBI takes note of people who use encryption, and because of that you will stop using encryption, because then you will be safe from the FBI… it makes no sense. I also wonder what makes people think that VPN’s wouldn’t be monitored in the same way that Tor would be.

4 Likes

I have now read your articles and I understand that “list” is not the case

2 Likes

You’ve probably noticed how many people give that as advice. Look how well that worked for Deepdotweb, eh?

1 Like