The Lightway VPN protocol is now open source - is it any good?

Lightway (based on wolfSSL), a VPN protocol developed by ExpressVPN is now out of its beta phase, and it’s code is now open-sourced. Now, many other consumer VPN providers can deploy Lightway, as well as A LOT more people to audit and scrutinize Lightway’s code itself.

I strongly believe that Lightway will beat WireGuard, some reasons being:

• It works in the user space, unlike WireGuard which works in the kernel space. This makes it easier for Lightway to get around things like firewalls, deep packet inspection, censorship, etc.

• It has only around 1,000 lines of code

• Unlike WireGuard, Lightway doesn’t just work over UDP, it also works over TCP–port 443, which gives it more resiliency when it comes to bypassing firewalls, censorship etc.

• Unlike WireGuard, Lightway doesn’t have the problem of issuing static internal IPs. WireGuard having the issue of static internal IPs is concerning in terms of privacy, as WebRTC for example could be leaking the static IP, and make it easier to tie online activities or behavior back to an individual user.

For a more in-depth and developers explanation regarding Lightway:

**What do you all think about Lightway? **

If you’re able to read code in the GitHub link I provided, and compare it to say WireGuard, what do you like better and/or worse about Lightway’s code?

Which other consumer VPNs do you predict will be one of the firsts to deploy Lightway?

How do you think Lightway would change the game for workplace or corporate VPNs?

Do you think Lightway will beat WireGuard, like I do?

etc etc.

I’ve edited the title of this post to make it seem less spammy.

1 Like

Oh, okay. No worries.

I definitely was not intending to post spam, and the URLs in my post are legitimate, not malicious.

I am an ExpressVPN user and fan. They really stand out in the VPN industry in many ways, in my opinion.
And, I wonder which other consumer VPN provider will be the first to deploy Lightway.
Any guesses yourself?
The first one definitely wont be CyberGhost, Mullvad, IVPN, or ProtonVPN. I’m thinking NordVPN or TorGuard might be one of the firsts to deploy Lightway.

Who knows? Time will tell…

Why not?

1 Like

CyberGhost defaults to IKEv2 for their apps, and some of their apps don’t even have OpenVPN, only IKEv2. They haven’t expanded much, have yet to invest in being audited…so yeah that’s where my intuition is telling me No with CyberGhost.

Mullvad is super slow at developing or deploying anything, especially considering they’ve been around since 2009.

IVPN, I asked them directly via Twitter DMs and was told that they are working on multiple projects and inspecting the Lightway code isn’t on their list of priorities.

ProtonVPN has yet to deploy WireGuard, and their MacOS app supports only IKEv2.

I took a look around on ExpressVPN’s server site and I’m not sure what to think about this (I mean, it’s a VPN provider):

Bildschirmfoto_2021-07-20_09-56-53

And this is from Mullvad’s server site:

Bildschirmfoto_2021-07-20_09-57-55

And to complete it:
ExpressVPN App
MullvadVPN App