Telegram privacy

Some time ago, i downloaded Telegram to communicate with my wife more securely, we only used it between us, no other contact or group, it happened that we sent a nude photo or two and after less than a week of using this app we both got banned.
So my question is it because of the nudes because it is the only reason i can think of.
How secure is an app which sees what you are sending?

1 Like

Unless you used secret chat, it is not private at all. And as it was mentioned hundred time here and other (PTIO) places, Telegram is not privacy oriented messenger.

If you don’t know details of service you are using - use Signal. Don’t look for any other option

1 Like

Thank you for your answer,
so our chat wasn’t private and anyone could have seen our conversation without us being notified and someone who saw it reported us, I imagined it was a bot or something ?! Wow

Yes, we’ve installed Signal instead and we are happy with it.

I wouldnt say don’t look for any other option, The powers that be knows Signal could do better, there isnt just any good alternatives to Signal right now.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

@hauntsanctuary
There are good alternatives, but might not be so user-friendly for regular users. Signal is best replacement for people who got used to WhatsApp, Viber, etc… and are just looking for more privacy

@visnudeva
Your conversation is available only to Telegram employees. Probably no person took a look, but it was automatic scan or something

The fact that Telegram doesn’t have end to end encryption always enabled, or even enabled by default, is alone enough to classify it as a non-private messaging service. It clearly shows that the developers do not take privacy seriously.

Telegram also uses their home-brewed cryptographic protocol which has been criticized a lot and not been thoroughly audited by cryptographers. It can be secure, or it can be trash.

Add their strange and even aggressive marketing style to the equation, and the concerns of being able to recover your messages easily after a device change, and Telegram starts to look really suspicious, to me at least.

Use Signal if you want an easy replacement.

Personally, I even think that these options are better than Telegram even though I don’t recommend any of them:
–Whatsapp (owned by Facebook, not open source, but provides strong, audited encryption)
–Wickr (not completely open source, but seems to concentrate on code quality and foolproof security)
–plain SMS (not end to end encrypted, but doesn’t provide fake security and doesn’t pass your messages through foreign third party servers)

I dont know. With Huawei being banned because of their bad implementation of design (or maybe malice), who knows if their backend communication devices have these capabilities? Their government subsidize into a very competitive products for a reason.

That’s a good point actually. Even if the internet/phone service provider were honest, compromised network equipment may become a privacy hazard.

And now that I think about it, I think that transit encryption of phone/SMS is not strong either. Especially with older standards.

1 Like

Keep in mind that “security” isn’t only about end-to-end encryption, as mentioned by the EFF:

• end-to-end encryption (many messaging apps use or are based on the Signal protocol)
  • code quality (using “secure” algorithms)
  • user experience (can users easily send and receive encrypted messages?)
  • service availability
  • encrypted cloud backups (some messengers store unencrypted backups on the internet rendering E2EE useless)
  • secure auto-updating mechanisms
  • messenger of sufficiently high popularity that its use is not suspicious
  • indicators of compromise that are recognizable to an end-user
  • verification of identities
  • aliases instead of phone numbers
  • avoidance of network metadata
  • contact discovery without disclosing your contacts to the service provider
  • reproducible builds
  • binary transparency
  • the same level of security even in group chats
  • …

Signal, for instance, deploys additional measures to reduce network metadata. The whole app is built around strong cryptography (contrary to other apps that add some optional cryptography on top).

Besides, your account is managed by the client and data stored on the server is always encrypted (most other messengers store your account information in cleartext on the server).

3 Likes

Thank you for all your awesome answers to my first post here.