Spoofing your torrent client name

Hi all,
I want to ask your opinion.
I want to spoof a torrent client string, on a computer that acts more or less like seed-box (most of the time).

1. Do you think it is good or bad idea in general (and why)?
  2. What tools would you recommend to use, to check my current client id?
    • I have found this page https://am.i.mullvad.net/torrent (it is from Mullvad who is recommended in the VPN section, on this site). BUT it only shows me the ip, and I need client string.
    • I have also found this https://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php, it promise to show User Agent, but I am afraid to use it :flushed: Could you please recommend something that will not likely still & store data from the check (or explain why my fear, in this case is silly)?

Thank you all!
And best of luck! :partying_face:

qbittorrent have anonymous mode which hide some info or get cheap rdp and torrent from there

Can you suggest any services to check what torrent client is currently displayed?

1. Possible benefits of spoofing the client name:

– Let’s say someone joins the network and wants to exploit security vulnerabilities in certain client software. Spoofing the client name makes exploitation harder as the attacker does not know which exploits are effective. But a determined attacker can try many different exploits on each user until he/she finds a working one.

– Some private trackers may forbid certain clients or versions. Spoofing the client name may allow you to circumvent such restrictions. But if the client leaves other identifying markers (e.g. a buggy implementation of a protocol), it may still be possible to identify it.

In general, I think that the benefits of spoofing your client name are not very significant. In terms of privacy, the client name is not very interesting. To keep your system secure, use a client that is up to date and not known to have significant vulnerabilities.

1. Torguard is a well-known VPN service provider just like Mullvad so I suppose that the link you posted should be safe. But I can’t guarantee anything.

There’s another method as well but it requires more work. You can run two clients on different computers in your local network or over the internet (or even two different clients on the same computer) and start downloading something such as a Linux distribution. Make sure that the clients can reach each other. Then check what name and version is reported by one client to the other.

you can see yourself in seeds…