Software that automatically check for available updates

I’m looking for a software that automatically scan my PC’s installed apps to check if there are updates available. Do you guys know/use anything like that?

Edit: I’m using both Windows and Ubuntu so it would be great to have solutions for both systems.

1 Like

yes there is, its done with a command called sudo apt update :wink:

3 Likes

There are several such programs for Windows. I don’t use any, because I’ve been burnt more than once by “upgrades” that actually downgraded something. You cannot trust anymore upgrades to be upgrades.

Thank you! I’m new to Linux so there are still lots to learn. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Can you tell me some programs you know?

Have a look here.

I have just installed Soft Organizer Pro, which is an uninstalling program. It has a feature to detect updates. However, it only finds 4 programs with pending updates on my system, which sounds highly unlikely to me. (Actually, I know my pdf editor is not up to date, and it’s not in the list. So the feature does not work.)

1 Like

Wouldn’t you be better off with a program like Bulk Crap Uninstaller, wich is foss.
And most programs automatically searches for updates or you can do this manually…

Actually, I use Revo Uninstaller Pro. I installed Soft Organizer Pro to test it.

I don’t defer to the cult of open source. Many of the best programs are closed source.

Most of my programs require me to update manually. Some programs I use less frequent than others so I sometimes forget to update them. I think it’s better if there is a tool to check for updates for me.

most of the major, mainstream, desktop variants of Linux based OSs that i am aware of check for updates automatically without having to install anything, including updates to the OS as well as all of the installed packages

i’m certain Debian/Ubuntu does this - i know MInt does and i know Manjaro does

while there are some utils for Windows that attempt to emulate Linux in this regard, there are none that i’m aware of that are actually worth using

And track you the most :wink:

1 Like

if by “best” you mean that some are of the very highest quality relative to their function, i have no argument with that whatsoever

however this isn’t adobe.com or microsoft.com - people here are looking to protect their privacy and one cannot have any reasonable expectation of accomplishing that with proprietary, black-box software

sure, Photoshop (or whatever) may not have a free, open source equivalent, but what else is Photoshop doing besides editing your images? what kind of data is being collected? and where is it being sent? and for what purposes is it being used?

on the flip side, there are many free, open source programs that have no proprietary counterpart, or that are just as good as their proprietary counterparts, but that’s not an argument to made here - the point is, you cannot trust proprietary software (or hardware for that matter) to protect your privacy

i don’t know what all reasons you have for your apparent dislike of open source software or referring to that ethic as a “cult”, but i think you might change your views if you expand your knowledge on the subject

1 Like

Oh, I have full knowledge of the subject of open source, thank you very much. It’s just that I object to the cult aspect of open source, which is getting frankly ridiculous at times.

I don’t have a computer to do privacy. I have a computer to do things. I take care that my privacy is not infringed when it is at risk, and when it would be a problem. Meaning, far from 100 % of the time.

My Microsoft Excel 2003 does not infringe on my privacy a bit. Neither do My Revo Pro Uninstaller, my PDF X-Change Editor, my Cinta Notes, and hundreds of other proprietary programs, or services that I use.

Just to give a sense of perspective that’s needed here, one does not use a car to do road safety. One uses a car to go places, and if it can be done with a reasonable level of safety, then all the better. If, however, you let the avoidance of accidents become your primary aim, then it’s better you don’t drive at all.

Similarly, nobody cares about privacy in general. If everybody did, then humanity would get extinct very soon, since you wouldn’t be able to make babies. To give just one very obvious example.

1 Like

Buddy I think you’re at the wrong forum, if proprietary software is the only thing you want apperantly than this is probably the wrong forum to talk about…

1 Like

I can recommend SUMo (shareware):

https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

EDIT: They have a freeware version too. Pro is paid.

They have good software support, they even recognize portable apps and various small utilities. Occasionally beta releases are mislabeled as proper releases, but this is relatively rare. I like that you can query the version distribution for a given app among SUMo users.

The UI isn’t the most modern, but it’s functional and it’s easy to get things done.

I used to use Filehippo back in the day, but they started including ads and generally the experience was getting worse.

For anyone looking for a macOS option, I remember the Privacy, Security & OSINT Show recommending MacUpdater.

that is a reckless, uninformed and dangerous assumption for anyone to make whilst using proprietary software

those visiting this website do - if you don’t, that’s your choice, but then why are you here?

there’s a big difference between sharing personal information voluntarily and having it ripped from you without your permission and monetized (or far worse)

3 Likes

apt list --upgradable after to see what’s upgradable though. And apt upgrade to actually perform the upgrades :smile:

1 Like

I use ninite to install new releases, and use my package manager.

You should try getmacapps.com

1 Like