Snowden warns of greatest social control scheme in history (video)

‘Unlimited reach, no safeguards’: Snowden warns of greatest social control scheme in history

And now these institutions, which are both commercial and governmental… have structuralized and entrenched it to where it has become now the most effective means of social control in the history of our species.

2 Likes

:frowning:

Is there nothing we can do about this? It’s hard to change human behavior. It seems that the most you can do is to be aware of the surveillance and keep it in mind.

Having had a whole lot of my personal data exposed recently, this doesn’t just sound theoretical anymore. I figured out where the attackers got a lot of my information from, and some of it was via social media sites (like Snowden was talking about).

there are several levels to that question i think - at the surface level, i would submit that not using any of the social media platforms provided by unethical corporations is a partial solution, however any media that becomes really popular is going to be infiltrated by government, the intel community and vested corporations posing as normal participants

at a deeper level, i think greed and a lack of relevant education are at the root of the problem and i think a lot of radical shifts in awareness are required to fix the problems we face

when you study many of the biggest problems we face today, such as war, corruption, lack of education, pollution, finance, crime, drug abuse, health, etc., etc., etc., you begin to realize that greed is a common denominator

we are told that greed is human nature, but there are studies which suggest that it is a learned behavior and i would submit that simple logic dictates the same - our society has been carefully trained to become consumers; to want “things”; to perceive a $50k car as lending a higher status to its owner than a $10k car

as much as i admire activists and people who are willing to take risks to achieve their goals, i think a lot of them are wasting their time trying to fix inherently broken systems instead of creating new ones - they fail to see the construct and therefore fail to think outside of it - my solution, in part, is to do nothing … to simply stop feeding the machine that is grinding us all to pieces

probably more of an answer than you bargained for :smile:

1 Like