Slicing onions: Part 1 - Myth-busting Tor

(blacklight447) #1

I have just posted my first post in my new blog series on Tor called: Slicing onions.

It will be a four part blog series covering everything tor related

Pary one (this one) is about busting the commonly believed myths that surround Tor. The second post will be all about how Tor relates to VPN’s. The third will talk about browser fingerprinting in Tor browser and how these hold up against a hardend Firefox install.

And the last post will give a big in depth explanation on how the Tor network functions, and is meant for our more technical readers.

I hope guys enjoy it, and are not afraid to give feedback! :slight_smile:

8 Likes
(Jonah) pinned #2

Great article @blacklight447.

Small correction:

If I were to login into a webpage using HTTP, an exit node could intercept my password

This only applies to clearnet over tor. An .onion site can use http, and the password would still be encrypted.

2 Likes

Question - I’ve noticed that on some onion sites, there’s an error message that says “connection not secure,” or something along those lines. Does this mean that the exit node could (in theory) intercept private information, or that the onion site isn’t configured correctly?

P.S. I have read of instances where something similar happened.

(blacklight447) #5

It actully is correct. When you use an .onion address, it won’t go over an exit node, hence it won’t be able to take my traffic.