[Rules] Posts Getting Deleted

Question: What is PTIO’s forum moderation policy?

I have started noticing many “Discussion” threads being removed.
For instance, the Telehouse discussion got deleted along side the original Vultr post.

I would argue due to PTIO’s new policy of requiring discussion threads before discussing on Github that these posts were completely valid.

However, I would appreciate a response by the PTIO team.

Archive of post:
Archive.is: rules-posts-getting-deleted/1552
Archive.st: September52019826pm-jhyhujm9iemrtyugn6ajnil857002pg6

The problem is when brand new accounts with random usernames and randomly generated emails (10 Minute Mail?) post seemingly random tools to the Privacy Tools section. It looks like the posts exist solely to market tools of questionable value and provide backlinks to their websites from a somewhat-authority on privacy (at least perhaps from a search engine’s perspective). And it creates a lot of work moderation-wise so we’ll just remove them typically. It looks like spam.

Whether or not they are, I don’t know, but here’s my stance on the issue:

Discussion posts in the Privacy Tools or Providers categories should not be formatted the way the posts by @Mikaela or @burunghantu are. Especially if the tool isn’t already discussed on GitHub or elsewhere on the forum.

Tools that haven’t been discussed before can be posted to the forum to share new things. But they shouldn’t be posted/formatted in a way that looks somewhat official. They should have some commentary, this is a discussion forum, share your opinion! :slight_smile:

AFAIK we do leave up posts from the seemingly-random (although I assume one person?) accounts because they did add original content. If we have removed posts like that let me know.

Also just FYI, the forum has a built-in method to generate anonymous accounts:

6 Likes

@jonah Thank you for your response.

It looks like the posts exist solely to market tools of questionable value and provide backlinks to their websites from a somewhat-authority on privacy

Tools that haven’t been discussed before can be posted to the forum to share new things. But they shouldn’t be posted/formatted in a way that looks somewhat official.

Ok, what do you recommend users use for “Discussion” threads?
Do we just state them as unofficial in the description?

Thanks, I will start using this.

1 Like

Internet trolls will follow people around. I have found this to be the best defense.

Plus, as a common courtesy is that many aliases use random-like usernames to demonstrate that they are indeed an alias. I have seem many other users who seem to use similar methods.

If you want to discuss a tool I really just want more information on why you posted it. Share your opinion, thoughts on it, why you think it’s cool, questions you have, etc. Not just a name and a link :slight_smile:

I have stolen the format from @burunghantu and my suggestion would be restricting the opening of new threads to that category only for team members as I understand its purpouse to be comments section to be linked from the forum itself.

We have no such policy. As far as I am aware, our policy is

1. Create a new issue on GitHub and select it as a software suggestion. Direct link
  2. After there is concensus that we are including the software, open a pull request.
  3. In the pull request, there is a section for a forum link, in my opinion ask/wait for a team member to create the thread.
  4. After the PR is reviewed and approved by sufficient people, it gets merged and appears on the live site soon afterwards.

I guess you got confused by my wish (shared by a few other team members) to get discussion threads that are related to e.g. recent news instead of software out of GitHub as otherwise those would stay at GitHub forever as there would often be nothing that we can do on the website to give us a reason to close the issue.

1 Like

I would support adding a template for new tool posts.

Some of the things I would find useful:

• Is the tool FOSS or commercial?
  • Is the post by someone affiliated with the tool/service or a 3rd party user?
  • What does it do? Who can it help (everyone, or is it more use case specific)?
  • How does it compare to other tools on the market?
1 Like

Fantastic idea:

1 Like