/r/privacytoolsio VPN stickie

The amount of disinformation and/or ignorance about privacy in circulation is staggering. This is especially true regarding VPNs, as has been pointed out here by @blacklight447. By having one of the two stickies be a wholesale endorsement of VPNs (https://old.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/4ihtdj/that_one_privacy_guys_guide_to_choosing_the_best/), privacytools.io participates in this disinformation. It seems better to have a stickie that more clearly warns of the amount of disinformation related to VPNs and also of their shortcomings, again such as the posts by @blacklight447.

i’m working on an article for my site that aims to provide a brief, reasonably informative comparison of VPNs verses Tor if you care to critique it…

Hey Tor junkies - your input would be appreciated

That’s great to hear.

I think my point was that we should de-emphasize VPNs. There could be so many important things stickied, but why VPNs? Why not messenger applications or email providers? I think it gives the idea that in order to have privacy one needs a VPN, which is plainly wrong.

my feeling is that the tools one uses depends on the job they need to do, and so i think (maybe incorrectly) a VPN has advantages in certain circumstances, plus it caters to a lower level of technical knowledge … for example, if one is torrenting and wants to avoid nasty-grams from their ISP, or gaming (latency) or watching a lot of HD videos, does a VPN not cater to that market better than Tor for example? it’s also fairly easy to setup a VPN on a router if the firmware supports it, so all networked devices are “protected” (relative, i know)

i list a lot of this stuff in my (short) article

VPNs have the place. I frequently make use of them. But I think it’s not the tool the average person should think of first, nor the first thing thing they should start thinking about when the start thinking about privacy. Is the target audience people torrenting or just your average person? I don’t think those people are the same anymore.

The article has some good points. Perhaps using a sort of pro/con grid might help.