PrivacyTools' opinion about hosting services like AWS and Google Cloud

So PrivacyTools.io recommends some great hosting services on this page: https://www.privacytools.io/providers/hosting/

But Google Cloud nor Amazon Web Services is not discouraged. So what’s your opinion about these services? Should they be discouraged or is it okay like now?

Who said they are not discouraged?

Hi Dan!

I have included a link to the page in question.
( Breadcrumb:

1. Home
  2. Providers
  3. Hosting
    )

On that page, there is no explicit discouragement on using AWS or Google Cloud. You’re right in that you’re not encouraged to use them, but not discouraged as well.

Because I have to use both services for work I’m interested in how privacy safe those services are. And if not, how can I make it hard to not use those services? Besides the “Don’t feed the giants” argument. What other arguments are there to not use those services?

Google is evil on most of their products so no i won’t ever use them

Amazon on other hand (from my point of view) i see it’s more privacy respecting than google so if i got choice from both i will say Amazon

For my work i try as much as i can use privacy respecting services and if i had to use one of non privacy respecting services (like really not have choice) i give tips for users to avoid tracking on my project so yeah if you have choice just use one with privacy mind — maybe its bad in terms of support and userbase not like google products’ userbase but yeah at least you feel good about your users

If you notice on the Privacytools site, the recommendations are for privacy oriented products and services only, therefore no product or service that compromises these is listed, hence no Google or AWS etc.

Anybody is free to use whatever they want, however, if people are interested in privacy and security, certain products or services should not be recommended.

I do understand Google is seen as evil, but there’s no hard proof of them actually being evil. I want to be able to say: “I don’t use Google because… x, but also y and z.”. What makes Google Cloud Services so evil. Do they sell the metadata? Do they give intelligence agencies backdoors into the Compute Engines and databases of their users? And does Amazon do this too? (The arguments are entirely fictional).

For Facebook the arguments are easy. Facebook literally has been to court for privacy scandals and abuse of their power. Google and Amazon on the other hand, it’s a lot harder to proof their evil.

Well, google scans your gmail without you know it and i got proof of that: https://www.minds.com/newsfeed/994113421496082432?referrer=esmailelbob
so yes google is evil (yes you right in gmail but its same company so who knows ?)

All servers in the world at least record IPs of visitors so at least google know who seeing your projects, when and where but im sure google gets more data and they in minimum store it and build profiles on their other users so yeah google is bad and maybe they sell it who knows i remember seeing news about man got arrested because google maps revealed his location

Google was in court with FB for privacy issues too! not just FB

Amazon bad too but i not hear bad about them as much as google or FB

Interesting observation Esmail! It sounds plausible that Google scans your Gmail account for purchases and other information to serve you ads. It’s just that there’s no hard proof whatsoever about the wrongdoings of Google (or Amazon). I can’t convince someone to stop using Google or Amazon based on just a plausible theory alone.

For me saving users’ privacy is good reason but you right its google and amazon but im sure if you got right words you can convince anybody

I made a friend care about his privacy when i told him that big companies dig these data to play mind games and make you do things you not want ever do it like FB when they made people elect trump (lol) or make you click on ad to gain more money and my friend said yes i got ad about thing i was just think of so i told him see AI started think as you and he now started on road of privacy so yes if you got right words you can convince anybody

“Evil” can mean different things to different people depending on the context, however one could make the argument that Google has changed significantly in terms of their code of conduct “Don’t be evil” that was their motto since its inception.

Evil may not be the right term to describe how Google conducts itself, but it is one of the largest companies in the world (now a 1 trillion dollar company) that is engaged in surveillance capitalism;

We also know that Google was/is part of the NSA prism surveillance program that compromised the security of every Google users data.

We also know that Google is actively supporting pro-censorship governments such as China by providing them with a censorable version of Google Search known as “project Dragonfly”. This search engine will blacklist websites and search terms about human rights, democracy, religion, and peaceful protest, internet about political opponents, free speech, sex, news, academic studies, “blacklist sensitive queries” so that “no results will be shown” at all when people enter certain words or phrases, the documents state. The censorship will apply across the platform: Google’s image search, automatic spell check and suggested search features will incorporate the blacklists.

This is just the tip of the iceberg as there is a whole slew of privacy issues around Google which can be found here:

Whatever you label them, they defenitely no longer adhere to their original code of conduct, which is probably why they removed it in 2018.

1 Like

good sources :clap::clap:

Host your own server (period).

Before this continues any further I’ll say that you are absolutely right: you won’t be able to easily convince people to stop using Google’ services. That has to do with the fact that people either don’t know about the privacy implications of using them, they don’t care enough about it or both.

Now, let’s continue (sorry for the trackers):

1. Oops, hidden microphones inside Google Nest
  2. Collects Wi-Fi data through Street View Cars
  3. More than once
  4. Has been accused (and fined) for antitrust violations in the EU
  5. Now also in the US
  6. Avoids paying taxes
  7. Gathers way more data than it said it does
  8. Innocent man arrested after GMaps wrongly placed him at the scene of the 2018 crime
  9. Big tech lobbying spree

It’s been proven time and time again people say they care about their privacy, however their actions show otherwise.