Pinebook Pro Available for Pre-order

Not sure how I beat @blacklight447 to sharing this news, but the Pinebook Pro is now available for pre-order. $200. “Switches” for disabling webcam, wifi, mic. Check it out:

https://store.pine64.org/?product=14-pinebook-pro-linux-laptop

@blacklight447, i’ve heard you talk about this in the past, but to clarify, it seems that the privacy safeguards are pretty good for this laptop? Especially with the CPU being ME/other firmware blob free?

Thank you very much for info

A notable feature of the Pinebook Pro is its “privacy switches”, which come in the form of three keys on the keyboard — F1, F2, and F3 — that offer shortcuts to privacy features. Press any of the keys for 10 seconds and the firmware cuts the power, respectively, to the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi module, the webcam, and the device mics.

Nice.

Speaking of operating systems, the Pinebook Pro will support multiple Linux distributions, as well as Chromium OS and Android 9. However, it ships with a custom build of Linux Debian, which features local video playback up to 4K at 30 frames per second and Netflix at a 1080p resolution in the Chrome browser.

The Pinebook Pro joins Purism in becoming a privacy-focused Linux laptop for the tech-savvy crowd. It’s also a much cheaper option than Dell’s Ubuntu Linux laptops, which target a different segment of the developer hardware market.

are there BLOBs? Can I install stock Debian?