Other Linux Distros to Try (for a beginner)

Continuing the discussion from Least Favorite GNU/Linux Distribution?:

I’m fairly new to Linux and have been using Ubuntu for a year or so. Prior to that, I used Whonix, and am testing out Tails as well. Does anyone have suggestions for a “stepping stone” from Ubuntu to experiment with other distros?

I’m just the type of person who likes to try out different software and/or hardware.

(Vic) #2

I recommend Debian. It’s free (as in freedom) and a very robust GNU/Linux distro. I think it shouldn’t be hard for a beginner (although some might disagree), specially if you already have experience with Ubuntu.

They have a very big community (as many other distros) and mostly anything that already worked for Ubuntu will work also in Debian (Ubuntu is based in Debian).

Definitely look around the internet, there is a lot of information on different GNU/Linux distros.

2 Likes

Maybe try Solus if you’re into gaming and want something modern and stable.

1 Like
(Dan Arel) #4

I started with Ubuntu, and then switched to Linux Mint for a bit, then back to Ubuntu. I was with Ubuntu from 16.04 to 19.04 and just this week moved to Fedora.

I thought Mint was a great place to start and it’s actually what my son uses.

1 Like

Im personally useing Pop! os and really enjoying it, its built on ubuntu so its pretty easy to get the hang of

1 Like

gentoo on hard mode.

1 Like