Opera, Brave, Vivaldi to ignore Chrome's anti-ad-blocker changes

Despite sharing a common Chromium codebase, browser makers like Brave, Opera, and Vivaldi don’t have plans on crippling support for ad blocker extensions in their products – as Google is currently planning on doing within Chrome.

The only major browser maker who did not respond to our request for comment on this issue was Microsoft.

The good news is that whatever restrictions Google adds, at the end we can remove them. Our mission will always be to ensure that you have the choice. – Mr. Vivaldi

So this defeats the Firefox fanboys mantra that Chromium-based browsers are slaves to Google, because they cannot change the code. (And therefore, privacy-concerned users are obligated to use Firefox, and defer to any silliness Mozilla might throw in their way.)

1 Like

The more Chromium-based browsers differ from Chrome, the more broken they’ll be. Web developers are optimizing software for Chrome, not Chromium, not derivatives. If it works on Chrome, they won’t test it further. This is how 90% of them work. Even Autodesk is doing this, not to mention small teams. Sad but true.

1 Like

Seems kind of useless because these browsers don’t (AFAIK) operate their own extension ‘stores’ or if they do they are very limited. All the adblockers on the Chrome App Store are probably just going to be delisted in all likelihood so they won’t even be available on Brave/Opera/Vivaldi.

3 Likes

This is true. We use some web software at work that only opens in Chrome, and when I try in Vivaldi or even Brave, they still don’t open and send you to chromes download page.

I’m able to get around this, but your average everyday user isn’t going to.

At least Opera has their own, but they aren’t FOSS. I wonder if Brave/Vivaldi will support their store.

1 Like

Just another reason to use Firefox/Fennec/Icecat.

Using a Chromium based browser is just supporting Google’s monopoly.

1 Like

Mr. Vivaldi said :

Once the change is introduced to Chromium, believe me when I say that there are many, many possible scenarios. Restoring the API could be one of them. We’ve restored functionality before. If the API is removed altogether and no decent alternative is implemented, we might look into creating a limited extensions store.

I’m focusing on Vivaldi because that’s what I use.

1 Like

Its not that it really matters, I wouldn’t dare use any of those three browsers. I refuse to use any browser with chromium and blink.