I wonder when will they be updating their own onions,
and Debian is also all v2
For PTIO users who don’t want to leave the forum:
September 15th, 2020
0.4.4.x: Tor will start warning onion service operators and clients that v2 is deprecated and will be obsolete in version 0.4.6.
July 15th, 2021
0.4.6.x: Tor will no longer support v2 and support will be removed from the code base.
October 15th, 2021
We will release new Tor client stable versions for all supported series that will disable v2.
This effectively means that from today (July 2nd, 2020), the Internet has around 16 months to migrate from v2 to v3 once and for all.
For people who want to read the main changes from version 2 to version 3:
- Better crypto (replaced SHA1/DH/RSA1024 with SHA3/ed25519/curve25519)
- Improved directory protocol, leaking much less information to directory servers.
- Improved directory protocol, with smaller surface for targeted attacks.
- Better onion address security against impersonation.
- More extensible introduction/rendezvous protocol.
- A cleaner and more modular codebase.
You can identify a next-generation onion address by its length: they are 56 characters long, as in 4acth47i6kxnvkewtm6q7ib2s3ufpo5sqbsnzjpbi7utijcltosqemad.onion.