This contains a Personal Data Breach disclosure!
yeah…every social media app doing this so it comes to trust at this time so do you trust matrix ? if yes then alright go a head & if not try other servers like pirvacy tools or make your own one!
Personally the more I learn the less I feel able to trust Matrix.org and I think I often have communication problems with them if I need to reach someone as an individual (instead of wearing oper hat).
Using chat.privacytools.io doesn’t work either as learned in Notes on privacy and data collection of Matrix.org, direct link to the TL;DR due to multiple issues including:
- chat.privacytools.io uses vector.im as an identity server by default
- Riot desktop/Android uses vector.im by default
- even if you disabled that, all Riots use vector.im (Scalar) as an integration server by default regardless and don’t even tell that anywhere (Riot settings has small print on identity server somewhere in settings)
- and I didn’t even know until today what domain Scalar uses.
It’s time since I read the whole part 1, so there is more.
Quick status update on PTIO GitHub before I go to bed:
- there is some critique in https://github.com/privacytoolsIO/privacytools.io/pull/1047
- there is an alternative suggestion to list Matrix instead of Riot
- I opened a “tracking issue” containing links to Riot/Synapse/Matrix privacy problems