NordVPN, ProtonVPN, IPVanish & More EXPOSED!

So it seems like that nordvpn and protonvpn are not that trustworthy anymore.
What do you guys think? More info in this video

Ive looked into this a while ago. Its all because of a smear campaign by the ceo of private internet access to boost their own service.

3 Likes

Why wouldnt you link it as an invidio.us link instead of a youtube link?

Thanks for the heads up. I changed it.
Isnt this something that should be shown on the privacytools site?

I never trusted private internet access

1 Like

Now what free VPN are we supposed to use? I sincerely hope this video is fake.

Use Tor.

I’ve tried using Tor before, but what usually happens is I can’t get anything done because of endless CAPTCHAs, slow internet, and the fact that sites like Youtube don’t even work properly. I probably spent more time solving CAPTCHAs and trying to get some sites to work then I actually did browsing the web. This explains why I use Firefox with several privacy extensions and a free VPN, but if we can’t trust ProtonVPN, then I’m just going to have to deal with it.

Besides, I heard Tor doesn’t even protect you from ISPs, and they can still see that you’re using Tor (even if they don’t know what you’re doing on there). Also, there was a leak sometime ago where Tor revealed your real IP address if you were using anything but Windows or Tails, and there’s no way I’m using Windows.

CAPTCHAs are killing Tor and the internet generally. It’s quite frustrating as I used to get along with Tor for a lot more than I can now. CAPTCHAs are only going to get worse. It’s not enough enough to identify six fire hydrants at this point. Eventually algorithms will solve them. The problem is that once that happens, there will be demand from governments and corporations for universal digital IDs of some sort.

1 Like

If universal digital IDs happen, then the internet as we know it is dead.

I heard Tor doesn’t even protect you from ISPs, and they can still see that you’re using Tor (even if they don’t know what you’re doing on there)

(All) external parties see IP addresses. IP addresses are needed for communication over the internet. So, the network traffic between your router’s public IP address (the internet-facing one) and the Tor entry guard is visible. Tor also uses dedicated ports (9001, 9050 and 9051), and there are specific patterns (e.g. when you start the Tor Browser, it creates a circuit and downloads information about the Tor network). Therefore, it is easy for a external party that sees your complete traffic to spot if you are using Tor. However, the same is true for using a VPN since VPN servers also have IP addresses, and external parties see them.

there was a leak sometime ago where Tor revealed your real IP address

The Tor Browser (or Tor-related software) is like every other software: It may contain security vulnerabilities. It is based on Firefox at last, which gets regularly fixed. However, there is also regularly news about VPN providers that leaked IP addresses.

If one wants to obfuscate their internet traffic, they should use the Tor network.

The primary purpose of a VPN isn’t privacy but security if used in the way it should be used. If you send your complete network traffic to a company to hide your traffic from your ISP, you shift the “problem” from one central point to another. In the best case, your IP address remains hidden for some web services while most possibilities to track/identify you remain unchanged (e.g. browser fingerprint, device fingerprint).

Thats fud. https://write.privacytools.io/my-thoughts-on-security/slicing-onions-part-1-myth-busting-tor

Hi there,

is it still safe to use Nordvpn (I know in internet nothing is safe:slightly_smiling_face:) but Nordvpn has got so many mixed reviews don’t know what to believe and what not.

Here is another review:: https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=xxwvAjmNec8