My small guide to using YouTube

I want to get some of your opinions if this is a good way to keep using YouTube. I use QuiteRSS to be notified when my favorite content creators upload. mpv to watch the videos. youtube-dl to show me the available video and audio formats.

Say someone uploads a new video, I copy the link from QuiteRSS, open up a terminal and execute this little script that I wrote.

#!/bin/bash

read -p "Enter a link: " link
youtube-dl -F $link
read -p  "Select video format: " vid
read -p "Select audio format: " aud
mpv $link --ytdl-format=$vid+$aud

My mpv.conf includes --no-cookies, --tls-verify and --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.103 Safari/537.36". That user agent is taken from a website where you can see the most common user agents. Search for “Most Commons User Agents” on DuckDuckGo, site is called techblog.willshouse. I’m also doing all of this from a Linux computer with dnscrypt-proxy and a VPN that supports WireGuard. So what do you guys think? There are no ads. I select the best audio and video quality with the help of youtube-dl. mpv is amazing. Tell me your opinions. How anonymous is this?

2 Likes
(Moo Extremum) #2

Seems like a really good setup, the only thing I would personally do, is running youtube-dl through tor for anonimity. If you search online for “youtube-dl proxy”, you can make youtube-dl run only through tor using the config file.
In the config file you should proxy youtube-dl through 127.0.0.9050, it tries to connect through your system’s tor session. If that doesn’t work, you can also try 127.0.0.9150, in which you can route youtube-dl through your tor browser’s tor session.

2 Likes
(Tari R. Alfaro) #3

I prefer to use this site through Tor Browser.

1 Like