Mullvad VPN alternative

So, I’m tempted to subscribe to Mullvad due to it being the website’s favorite for safety browsing, but after a brief search, I found out you can’t connect to netflix using it, so I’m looking for safe alternatives. I found this reddit thread suggesting these 2 VPN services:https://www.reddit.com/r/NetflixViaVPN/wiki/index and I want to know which one you guys suggest or if there’s another good one for a cheap price.

2 Likes

You can try ProtonVPN (Plus) or IVPN, but I don’t know if they work on Netflix.

5 Likes

Cryptostorm and AirVPN are decent ones.
I wouldn’t go for any service which does not have wireguard support btw.
i.m.o. this offers way faster server switches and slightly faster speeds.
Cryptostorm doesn’t really make it easy to use their service especially if not that technical so you know.
IVPN I haven’t done too much research into however it seems alright, their security and privacy guides are actually pretty decent.
Do keep in mind that IVPN is the most expensive VPN I have ever seen.
To me even if all that they claim is true I find the ask way past what I would pay for a VPN.
Btw. Mullvad also has IP addresses which do work for netflix it’s just a hit and miss thing.

1 Like

I’ve read a little bit about cryptostorm and while the services looks pretty good, it seems the speeds are not that great, do you have experience with it, can you say anything about it?

If you don’t mind, can you tell us about your use case?

Keep in mind that a VPN provider doesn’t add any security in most cases, but only changes your IP address from the server’s perspective.

1 Like

A vote for protonvpn

1 Like

I agree with @net-zero-day in that ProtonVPN and IVPN are the best Mullvad alternatives, though there’s a large chance that you don’t need any VPN at all; VPNs do little to protect your privacy or enhance your security, and they require you to trust a VPN provider. There are certain cases where VPNs can be useful, though. Read PrivacyTool’s writeup on VPNs and their associated dangers if you want to learn more about whether or not a VPN might be useful to you.

2 Likes

IVPN works on netflix for some servers

Seeing NordVPN in the first place raises the question how honest this “comparison” is, especially since NordVPN is well-known for investing tons of money into marketing to appear in videos, on websites etc.

“Things we liked” like no logs, Double data encryption, Safe and secure, Switzerland jurisdiction, etc. look like pure marketing lingo that nobody actually verified.

1 Like

Here’s some interesting considerations about NordVPN’s less-than-honest advertising https://youtu.be/WVDQEoe6ZWY

1 Like

With a cheap VPS you can setup your own VPN-like with ZeroTier (https://zerotier.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SD/pages/7110693/Overriding+Default+Route+Full+Tunnel+Mode)

Also, I keep it running on a raspberry pi at home, so when I’m on the go I can safely connect back there and browse nets like I’m at home.

Along with the fact that nordvpn has been hacked in the past.
Which they kept to themselves for if I remember correctly at least half a year.
Only after user and password dumps started appearing on (dark)net did they publicly announce the hack.
perhaps not the best site but so you know I’m not making this up: https://www.cnet.com/news/after-the-breach-nord-is-asking-users-to-trust-it-again/

Can you please explain how zerotier works exactly?
Perhaps more concrete. I skimmed over that article and it was talking about
: “ZeroTier creates imaginary LANs. Default route override means that computers on your imaginary LAN will be routing Internet traffic through it.”
So it is not just a way to setup a static IP through a VPS? It has the ability to create multiple IP addresses from the one IP or dynamic IP you’re getting at a VPS service?

One thing which bothers me about protonvpn is that it can’t be purchased wholly anonymously.
I had a gift coupon for proton services through humble bundle after that initial month of credit was expired I couldn’t pay for the service anonymously /+ via tor.

Perhaps this has changed now has anybody tried doing this recently?

Cryptostorm does provide an anonymous way to signup with their token system.

@otaku-ccs.u
ZeroTier allows you to create an overlay encrypted LAN spanning all devices you connect to it. Kinda like Hamachi if you ever used it. Also, you can designate a device to be a bridge or router and default gateway for your virtual LAN, so you can redirect all internet traffic via it. I use it in many ways: connect all my IoT devices, have several networks with VPS as default routers (so I can use it as a VPN), etc. Sky is the limit with ideas you can use it. Also zerotier integrates nicely with openwrt and ubiquity, and pfsense (I think, never tested). Also, ZT can punch holes through NAT, so nothing has to listen on a public IP. Hope that answers some of your questions.

look it’s dumb, but what about prepaid visa itself?

What ‘prepaid visa’ are you talking about.

you go to any store at usa i guess ? (don’t blame me, im egyptian, lol) and ask them for prepaid credit card. its like normal visa but instead its not registered under your info in bank. its more used for “gift cards” so yeah you can get one from local store in cash and go and use it so no one can track you (or hard to track you)

You likely talk about “visa” as in “travel visa.”

And you likely talk about “visa” as in “Visa Inc.,” an American financial services corporation.