McDs Public WiFi blocking this site

I sometimes use the public WiFi of McDs, which often has an invalid certificate. Does not matter so much to me, because I only go to very normal sites from there. I suspect the certificate is from the pre-login contact with Router. As many her know, McDs WiFi uses a Garden Wall, “We warn you this is not private, maybe not safe to logon here,” “Click here to give your permission to acknowledge your risk.”

The McDs website uses Suddenlink Cable, and their website is managed by AT&T, known to have a close connection to “No Such Agency.” The message usually says they are protecting the users, or something similar, this is a bit different message. They usually block Linux Downloads, ISO’s, linux updates. Used to block updates to Firefox (they do not like free software, IMO because- enemy of Profit). McDS public WiFi used to block TAILS download. I wrote to AT&T and pointed out Tails Linux was developed by the US Navy, and gets sponsorship by the US government. Tails Linux may now be downloaded.

I have warned AT&T about the bad certificate, doesn’t get better. At initial contact with Garden Wall, I am encouraged to load the certificate to my browser and tell browser it is all right. I did add it to Edge.

Yes, one can use a VPN to do free software downloads. They do not block the use of Tor Browser.

This is part of the push to only allow limited OS’s on the Internet. OS’s like Windows and Apple. OS’s which I feel are more likely to violate privacy, and be tools of large power groups, like governments.

Smile, your privacy is valued, and your privacy is not really yours, anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for the post
Did.not know all that about mcds wifi
Will never connect again
Thoughts on using it with orbot??

Well, to add a bit more. Suddenlink Cable was fined during the Obama Administration for Spying on Users. Suddenlink paid fine, promised not to do it again, and found another technical method to accomplish something similar. I doubt if Suddenlink Cable had any conflict during the Trump Presidency. I suspect ISP’s do a bunch of things that those on this forum would not appreciate. Whomever the administration is, not going to stop them. Just government fines mean the government shares in the profit. Like taxing recreational drug selling.

I have not tried Orbot. As you can guess from my adding the invalid certificate to Edge, this laptop is using Windows 10.

I am very careful not to pollute a Linux install with an invalid certificate.

With a live version of Linux, I might. Windows, why would such matter very much? How much worse could a bad certificate make it? With Windows I have a VPN and Tor.

I take the opinion, one should have a public, obvious presence on the Internet, and another, the one I do not intend others to harvest information off of. Two presences on the Internet is mentioned in the book, “Little Brother,” by Cory Doctorow, available for free on Gutenberg. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow - Free Ebook Not really much about computer security those here do not know. Fiction about being afraid of ones own government.

For one thing, I have a lot of E-Books from Amazon on a Kindle. Really can not be hidden. I use a Gmail account for that, as if I used an email addy that went away, like one from an ISP, I would lose management of my Ebooks. Amazon does not allow Ebooks management (ownership) to be transferred to another Email addy. I use an Amazon Tablet to read them, Droid, which of course Amazon uses to target advertisements to me.

EasyOS, from Barry Kauler, original developer of Puppy Linux, uses a particular browser and other things that are interesting at illuminating what Public WiFi are doing. It is also a live ISO, if the user chooses.