Making smartphone offline by removing hardware

Is anyone tried to remove tracking modules from iphone or other phone, to use them not as smartphones, but just small computers?

I was thinking about using old smartphone as offline computer. However, since it is not possible to disable wi-fi etc. for sure, it would be better to remove them.
If Wi-FI, Bluetooth, GSM modules would be removed (mayby GPS also?), it would not be possible to track the device in anyway (I think).

However, I am not sure if it is easy to do or not…

1 Like

Just active airplane mode

Airplane mode is not reliable/consistent in any system AFAIK. It also wont protect you if the device is already compromised and pretending that airplane mode is on

2 Likes

Maybe it is just the way you phrased it, but Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GSM aren’t “tracking modules” in the first place.

The GPS chip in a smartphone works passively by receiving signals from satellites. There is no communication back to satellites.

What is your use case here? It might be easier to buy another device that comes without most of these chips.

Physically removing hardware components in a modern smartphone might break more than necessary or destroy the phone completely.

2 Likes

The GPS chip in a smartphone works passively by receiving signals from satellites. There is no communication back to satellites.

Really?
So GPS does not present a privacy risk?

1 Like

Airplane mode does not hide anything - somebody make man-in-the-middle test that once you turn airplane mode off, it sends all data which were collected during airplane mode time to google.

For other discussion, please see on youtube:

/watch?v=8eiJS5qNHMk

Based on this I only see one option - to remove wi-fi, bluetooth, GSM from the phone to use it as relatively cheap and nice minicomputer with preinstalled offline games/programms, camera, mp3 player etc.

As written before, GPS chips work passively. They do not send their position back to any satellites. Hence, GPS chips do not represent a risk.

So, why are there GPS trackers? Because there is another component involved (e.g., tracking software on your smartphone) that retrieves location data from your GPS chip and sends it to a remote system. The problem is this component, not the GPS chip.

1 Like