Least Favorite GNU/Linux Distribution?

• Ubuntu
  • Fedora
  • OpenSUSE
  • Debian
  • RedHat Enterprise/CentOS
  • Hannah Montana Linux

0 voters

At present, I’m using Ubuntu, and I had no idea there was a Hannah Montana Linux. :rofl:

2 Likes

But what about RebeccaBlackOS?

I’ve only used Debian variants (including Ubuntu), so I honestly don’t even know how Linux works outside of the Debian ecosystem.

2 Likes

@jonah mentioned https://ponyos.org/

Edit: Is this really not a Linux distro?
Four years later and people still don’t believe us! PonyOS is not a Linux distribution - it’s also not a BSD, or a Hurd, or a Minix, or a Solaris!

3 Likes

I haven’t updated my listing recently, but there are two that I am avoiding:

On the other side that are more or less in my favour

4 Likes

Am I to understand that there are no other bronies here? hides :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I find it interesting that more people voted for Debian than Ubuntu. I’ve known a couple of people who hate Ubuntu, and yet I know several who are obsessed with Debian. Perhaps, as I’ve said many times, it’s a matter of personal preference (as with anonymity networks or password managers).

Ubuntu servers drive me up a wall… Especially lately, like what’s up with the required reboots all of sudden? This ain’t Windows.

1 Like

I don’t know if Ubuntu has done something weird, but microcode and kernel updates have always required reboot to apply and with some library updates it’s the most sure way to ensure that software using those libraries gets restarted. You may be interested in the needrestart package.

There are some exceptions to kernels though and I think microcode would theoretically be updatable without reboot, but that probably wouldn’t prevent holes from being abused before it?

Please correct me if I am talking nonsense.

1 Like

Manjaro

Comes with steam preinstalled, is a wanna be arch but holds their updates for a week which removes the “bleeding edge” of arch

Also debian > ubuntu

1 Like

May i ask about what your thoughts are about Fedora? Or the RedHat ecosystem in general.

fwiw https://www.ubuntu.com/livepatch

2 Likes

For some reason I thought the “Free for 3 Machines” said “Free for 3 Minutes” and I was like dang that’s a short time :rofl:

Fedora, I used it for some time once a few years ago, but I think I never got as comfortable with yum/dnf and I don’t like how short time they support their releases and I didn’t like them booting to a different target and requiring local precense.

CentOS, I wanted to try it once on old machine (from 2006) at family which is mainly used as a "print server, but then I learned that they remove support for old drivers so networking didn’t work.
I have understood this to be due to them being compiled RHEL sources and Red Hat Enterprise Linux is for enterprises and they run more modern (or at least specialized what enterprises usually run) hardware, not something “ancient”.

I had been in the process of setting up Arch (forget if I mentioned that here), and kind of abandoned it in the middle. Perhaps I should finish it! I don’t really need it, but it’s been a fun learning project. I love how you can customize everything to your liking.

Of the ones I’ve tried

Elementary OS is pretty bad out of the box. Not sure why people keep recommending this for new users if it doesn’t even come with Google Chrome.

Arch is too difficult to install and will literally break on you.

Debian is too old with old, outdated packages, and it’s hard to upgrade to unstable or testing (and even then it’s not as bleeding-edge as some distros).

Ubuntu is easy to use, but random system errors pop up all the time.

MX Linux’s installer is so screwed up that it kills any hope of me ever wanting to consider it.

But I really don’t like Hannah Montana so I guess Hannah Montana Linux is the worst (at least until they create a Justin Bieber Linux).

It isn’t difficult to install Arch, just visit their Wiki and look at the documentation. Installing Arch is nice since you’re in control of what you install on your system.

1 Like

The documentation can be hard to understand and navigate some times and most people want a distro to do the installing process by itself, regardless of what bloat will be on their new system. It is for this reason why I don’t recommend Arch linux for normal users, but only for power users and programmers with years of experience.

Ubuntu MATE is a good, user-friendly distro for normal users who want more control of what they install on their system.

If I went back to GNU/Linux (unlikely*) I’d probably use Arch personally, or maybe try OpenBSD (which isn’t Linux, but I want to know what the hype is all about). The last time I used Arch it was very refreshing to have a usable experience at the end, albeit with a long setup process. I also hate outdated packages with a passion.

If I were to recommend something to new users however, I would probably recommend ElementaryOS, assuming they had a decent computer. I actually quite like it and it makes me glad at least one Linux distribution is focusing on good design, which is one of the most important things I personally think Linux distros in general are highly lacking in, and one of the reasons I use macOS daily.

I dunno if this (Google Chrome) is sarcasm or what, but I haven’t had any issues with ElementaryOS. It’s a bit graphics intensive, which I think makes it a poor experience for some people. I see lots of people installing Linux on whatever shitty secondary hardware they have laying around, and then despite it working relatively well they complain about performance. I would say if you (and by you I mean “an average person”) are spending $600-$1000 on a computer you’re using for a daily driver (which is a highly reasonable budget for most people), ElementaryOS will run and function great.

I like Elementary’s design, and their goals. They have a decent concept for an app store, even though it doesn’t have as many apps as I’d like. It’s better than Ubuntu’s store though, which is trash. ElementaryOS is based on Ubuntu however, which I don’t hate and is a solid base for other distros. It also means that app support is great, even if it occasionally requires using apt.

For gamers, I’d recommend Manjaro. Sure, you’ll have to deal with hate from Arch purists, but having up-to-date drivers for your graphics is worth it. Other distros (Ubuntu) are far behind, especially since most gaming on Linux development is quite new.

I hear Pop_OS! is good both for general users and for gamers, but I’ve never used it. Could be worth investigating as a solid overall middle-ground.

As far as servers, I basically only use Ubuntu 18.04 at the moment.

As far as least favorite goes, I’m not a fan of Debian (too old feeling), or Ubuntu Desktop (I’m just prejudiced, now that Unity is out of the picture maybe it’s better). And Fedora is just boring IMO.

*Excluding Qubes. I love Qubes and still use it.

Deepin is okay, if you’re willing to install a distribution that originates in China. The deepin desktop isn’t that bad, but I’m a person who loves my low resource LXQT desktop.

1 Like