Last resort backup for when you lose literally everything

Imagine you’re living as a digital nomad (i.e. working as a freelancer while traveling) and suddenly all of your stuff gets stolen: laptop, phone, external HDD, that piece of paper where you wrote your 2FA recovery codes… everything! (but you still have your wallet, so you can buy new devices)

What kind of last resort backup would you have in order to be prepared for a situation like that?

I thought of having an encrypted file stored in an email account with no 2FA created just for that purpose. That would be a small file with just the essentials: password manager vault, 2FA authenticator backup, recovery codes…

I also thought of setting up a Raspberry Pi server on my parents’ house as an off-site backup. Recovering files would be just a matter of calling them up and asking them to turn it on.

Any ideas?

1 Like

It doesn’t need to be anything as complicated as that. It’s not uncommon to use optical discs for cold storage. In enterprise it’s common to use options such as LTO tapes for long-term cold storage.

Generally though keeping your last backup encrypted with a passphrase and offsite though is a good idea.

1 Like

Yes, but what if you’re far away from any physical off-site backups you may have? (hence the digital nomad example)

So I imagine that, in this case, a last resort backup should be accessible via the internet, being either in the cloud somewhere (the email with no 2FA example), in a server, etc.

i would go for Raspberry Pi option. or even at with it as normal PC and save files in there and leave it on the shelf or even little USB stick with the same idea

1 Like

I would store these keys/tokens then in a VeraCrypt volume on the cloud then.

I wouldn’t go with the raspberry pi option at your parents place unless you’re happy with maintaining online internet-facing systems. You’ll likely have to open ports on their firewall to have something like ssh, or a http server accessible from the internet.

An unmaintained system can be more of a security risk than using somebody elses ie a cloud provider.

Mailbox.org provides cloud storage as a part of their account option, and I think ProtonMail will be soon too with their ProtonDrive.

2 Likes