Is Brave still the best chromium browser on desktop?

I need a backup browser (chromium) for google stuff. Is Brave the best option?

Brave is not recommended here at PTIO. But if you are looking for a Chromium-based browser, Brave is one of the best.

You need to enable some settings like browser fingerprinting blocking and then add extensions like Cookie Autodelete, Decentraleyes, ClearURLs and uBlock origin. Best Privacy Settings For Brave Browser • BrowserPulse

Recommended add-ons for Brave/Chromium-based browsers by PTIO’s official website: https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#addons

List of the best browsers by Restore Privacy. Brave is ranked #2. https://restoreprivacy.com/browser/secure/

There were many discussions about Brave before by PTIOers: Pros and cons of Brave - Discussion by PTIOers on Github

The add-ons I mentioned above are officially recommended by privacytools(.)io. Just check out the link. If someone else on this thread against installing the add-ons, ignore his advice(s).
https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#addons

2 Likes

I always suggest Vivaldi. It may not be as good as Brave in terms of privacy (but it can be hardend), but it is for sure one of the best browsers when it comes to features (tab stack, tiling, sidebar, notes, guestures…). And of course, it is way better than Opera, Chrome or Edge

Wont a degoogled chromium be theoretically be better? @crossroads

I havent had a proper chrome alternative for months now and I am also curious which should be the better choice when the need arises.

1 Like

If it’s exclusively for Google accounts I would probably use Vivaldi, Brave, Ungoogled Chromium or even bare Chromium if you are already using all of the above for something else. What’s most important is that you do not use this browser for anything else other than your Google’s accounts.

I personally like Vivaldi the most and then Ungoogled Chromium, one for it’s customization options and the other for it’s simplicity.

2 Likes

Yes, degoogled chromium is the best for privacy, but I love those Vivaldi features so much :smiley:

1 Like

No need to add uBlock Origin to Brave, is incorporated.

1 Like

Addons make you unique and you have to get the addon from google

That depends on the user. I personally use UBO on Brave because it blocks more than standard blocker.
mc-ublock

2 Likes

Just go to brave://adblock/

Brave does not have the greatest history.
Brave has some good people working for them, but the CEO is dishonest.
Brave does shady things with ad injection, have been contemptuous toward implementing actual secure design decisions when GrapheneOS developers have reached out to them in the past, and lags significantly in patches from upstream.
They are more for marketing and such, than actual security, BAT is sketchy too. It should stay disabled.
Brave is not hardened, but rather has a bunch of Brave things added and the Google stuff is partially disabled.

Source(s) from GrapheneOS chat rooms based on past questions/discussions answered by security researchers and developers.

IMHO, Ungoogled-Chromium would be the best Chromium based browser for desktop (Linux).

2 Likes

Will the add-ons connect to Google after installation? Most importantly, how do you verify that? I used Wireshark to capture all connections from Brave + addons and none of them are connecting to Google. What tool that you use?

Then, what are all your settings on Brave to replace UBO, CAD, ClearURLs? All the settings that you tried yourself? Based on one of your posts, I think that you are using Brave for Android, while I use Brave for Linux. They are two different universes, so the settings, addons and results will be different.

I notice that you are using a smartphone or tablet while posting on this forum most of the time. Most of your posts on this forum are short, didn’t include a paragraph, link, or quote on this forum because it is hard to do those on a phone.

Did you mean browser fingerprint? I tested my Brave browser fingerprint with a few online tests and it is doing just fine on the test results even with addons. But maybe you know something that I don’t.
How do you test that? What tool that you use? Veterans from this forum are using tons of addons and most of them don’t worry about this problem.

2 Likes

for update

using android tor browser

u should be careful when visiting fingerprint testing sites the site dont have the data of all internet users so they test you with the datas they got so even if your fingerprint is very unique you might appear not unique (ive tested this by myself) also many fingerprinting sites don`t detect addons even thogh this can be used for fingerprinting

you found that out just with my posts?!!??!

because firefox blocks sites from detecting addons while brave leaks them it`s kinda hard to detect addons if browser itself isnt telling https://browserleaks.com/js

1 Like

I always suggest Vivaldi.

Isn’t Vivaldi technically proprietary software? If I were to suggest a Chromium-based browser, I would rather recommend one that’s fully free and open-source. I personally use Brave (as a backup, but I also have two webapps made from that browser, why did Firefox remove that feature :frowning: ), but otherwise, Firefox all the way.

No harsh feelings if you like that browser, but I’m trying to trust proprietary software as less as possible.

(Maybe if Vivaldi went fully FOSS, I could try it…)

As I know, Vivaldi source is available, though I’m not sure if everything is there
https://vivaldi.com/source/

They are also open about their business model
https://vivaldi.com/blog/vivaldi-business-model/

So yes, Ungoogled Chromium is the best browser in terms of privacy. But I would say Vivaldi is quite good also. Especially as a 2nd browser (or 3rd if you also use Tor sometimes). Even if it were slightly worse than Brave, I would still go for Vivaldi, due to great features. Though to be honest, I haven’t tried Brave for some time, I don’t know what it has to offer now.

Vivaldi is partially open-source, only their UI layer is closed source. I personally like Vivaldi quite a bit even more so than Brave but to each their own. By the way Vivaldi recently released version 3.7 which is supposed to come with performance gains, something many people complained about in the past.

Look at this :

https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html

1 Like

Neocities again…

2 Likes

The truth is, the add-ons I mentioned above are OFFICIALLY recommended on the privacytools(.)io website whether for Brave, Chromium browsers, Firefox, Opera or Edge.

Below is the screenshot from PTIO’s official website. As you can see, PTIO’s official website even includes direct links to Google Chrome Web Store, Mozilla Addons, and Opera Store from the add-ons page so everyone can download the add-ons.

This is the link to that page: https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#addons

That’s why I recommended using the above add-ons to the OP. I trust PTIO’s official website much more than I trust you because if the add-ons are no longer recommended, PTIO will remove the links. I’ve been browsing PTIO’s official website since 2017 that I’ve seen many services are removed from one time to another. I didn’t include the link in my earlier comments because I assumed that everyone here already read the page.

As for your previous answers, those are more to your personal opinions and I expected that from the beginning. Your advice(s) is contradicting from what being recommended officially by PTIO itself. Most likely you didn’t read the PTIO official link before posting here.
https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#addons

@A_user, I don’t know your real name and I don’t care about your personal tests, because you never introduce yourself as an expert. You also didn’t include the link(s) to the experts’ website to support your statement. So there’s no solid reason to trust you.

So no, I’m not going to take your advice(s). It is not making sense for me to take any of your advice(s).

I read an in-depth article about browser fingerprinting from restoreprivacy(.)com. In that article, it is stated that using Android to browse websites is bad in terms of browser fingerprinting because smartphones are vulnerable to browser fingerprinting. For now, there is nothing you can do about it.

I trust that article much more than I trust you. Because the article writer introduces himself as a real person (Sven Taylor) and the article itself is making a lot of sense with links to valid research results and real expert’s advice.

@A_user, since you keep browsing the internet by using a mobile device most of the time, I can tell that you don’t know what you are doing in terms of browser fingerprinting. You don’t follow the expert’s recommendations. Therefore, I cannot take your advice(s) about browser fingerprint.

This is the link to that article at restoreprivacy(.)com: https://restoreprivacy.com/browser-fingerprinting/.

And the screenshot below is the quote from the article, which is located at the end of the article. It explains why using Android is bad in terms of browser fingerprinting:

I always consider certain factors before trusting someone or news on social media. Read this guideline: How to spot fake news on social media - Lifehacker

Why I don’t trust @A_user:

• While he pretends to talk like he knows a lot about browser fingerprinting, he is using an Android device to browse the internet most of the time. Android device is vulnerable to browser fingerprinting, as being mentioned earlier. I conclude that he doesn’t even know what he is doing in terms of browser fingerprinting. That’s why I cannot accept his advice(s) on this topic. And no one on this thread should.
  • I already checked his previous posts on this forum. To be honest, most of his statements on this forum are dubious.
  • His suggestions about Brave browser add-ons before contradicts the recommendations by privacytools(.)io. https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#addons
  • If whatever his opinion is contradicting the expert’s opinion, I have to prioritize the known, trusted, expert’s opinion.
  • He uses an Android device most of the time that I doubt he knows a lot about browsers on PC. At least not to my level because I always browse the web by using my PC. I rarely use the browsers on Android.
  • I don’t know his real name, and he never introduces himself as an expert. He also never include a link to the experts’ website to support his opinion. So, his theory does not weigh much and is not making sense for me to trust him.

Why I trust this article: https://restoreprivacy.com/browser-fingerprinting/

• The article covers in-depth about browser fingerprinting, with the correct way to test, as well as the valid links to real case studies.
  • I tested browsers on PC and Android device myself and I can tell that the article is right. (I’ll show the screenshots of my experiment later).
  • The article is based on real research with links to valid case studies. So, those are facts, not theory.
  • The author of the article at Restore Privacy introduces himself as a real person and the entire website is made by a team of experts. More info about their team here: https://restoreprivacy.com/mission/
  • The browser fingerprint test methods taught in that article are created by the experts, so they know what they are doing. So, if I follow their methods, I know that I am doing the right thing.
  • The browser fingerprint test methods taught in that article are making a lot of sense for me. From the article and test methods themselves, I understand how browser fingerprint blocking/randomizer works.

I have a bunch of browsers installed on my PC for different purposes. For this experiment, I used Vivaldi on Linux PC. (I think @crossroads will love this).

• First, I would go to deviceinfo.me to view how my default system looks like. Since I didn’t have any fingerprint blocking settings on Vivaldi, deviceinfo.me displayed the default OS. That was Linux OS and Chrome browser. The screenshot below was how it looks like.

• The next thing I did was installing Random User Agent and Canvas Blocker Fingerprint Protect extensions on Vivaldi. These browser extensions would spoof/change the OS that I could see at deviceinfo.me. So, rather than displaying my default OS, which was Linux, it would display another OS. In this case, it displayed SunOS with the Firefox browser. Below was the screenshot of how it looks like. As you can see, the browser extensions were spoofing the default OS and browser that could be viewed at deviceinfo.me. Yes, this was still the same Linux PC and the same Vivaldi browser. But, since I had a fingerprint blocker installed, I was able to hide my real OS and browser.

• So, if I visit a certain website with fingerprint blocker/randomizer extensions on my browser, that website owner will see the fake OS (SunOS) which is different from my real OS (Linux). So, it will be hard to trace my PC in the real world. Make sense?

• But, as you can see from the screenshot above, deviceinfo.me could still detect my default browser, which was Chrome (True browser core: Chrome). Now, how to change this on Vivaldi?
    Go to settings > Privacy > Google service > Uncheck everything under Google services. Like phishing, DNS, etc. Then, Google extensions > Uncheck everything under Google extensions, like Crypto Token, Hangouts, etc.
    Then, restart the browser. Go back to deviceinfo.me.

• This time, the system were changing from my default OS to Windows 10, and the browser to Firefox. Below was the screenshot of how it looks like.

As you can see, deviceinfo.me would detect and display my OS as Windows 10 and Firefox browser. The truth is, this was still the same Linux PC and Vivaldi browser. Even better, deviceinfo.me couldn’t detect my true browser, that was Chrome. Instead, it only detect that I was using Firefox, which was a fake version of my real browser.

This would make it harder to trace my PC in the real world. Because I actually didn’t use Windows, but Linux OS. And then, there are many PCs are running Windows, so the fingerprint is generic (not unique).

• Now, how all these can protect my privacy? If I browse the same website twice, with the same PC, same browser, and same IP, the website owner will think 2 different people are visiting his website. Why? Because he can see 2 different OSs and browsers are visiting his website, so he will conclude that 2 different people are browsing his site. While the truth is, it is just one same person. Make sense?

I ran lots of similar experiments on different PC browsers but I’m not going to post them here. You all can try that at home.

That is on PC. What about Android? I made the similar experiment as above on Android.

• I ran TOR browser on Android and visited deviceinfo.me. I set the security level for the browser to be safest. But, in the end, the TOR browser on Android didn’t hide my real system and browser. Below was the screenshot of how it looked like:

• So, if I browse a website by using a TOR browser on Android, the website owner can see that I am using an Android device with Firefox. TOR browser on Android doesn’t hide my real device info.

Plus, Firefox for Android is unique. Because not many Android users are using Firefox. Hence, if I use Firefox for Android, that will be unique and will make me much easier to be traced.

If I use Chrome for Android, that will be generic. The majority of Android users are using Chrome. In terms of browser fingerprint, it will be harder to trace my device if I use Chrome on Android.

So my conclusion is, the article from Restore Privacy is true. Browser fingerprinting blocking doesn’t work on mobile. And, deviceinfo.me is recommended by that article. As being said, the article is written by team of experts, so it makes sense why it works.
This is the link to that article again: https://restoreprivacy.com/browser-fingerprinting/

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading everyone.