Is anyone here on Mastodon?

Add me!! https://social.privacytools.io/@dan

1 Like

I’m not on Mastodon but I’ll be your friend. I am on Telegram if you’re interested. I hope you’re an Anarcho-capitalist :grinning:

1 Like

I’m also not on Mastadon, but I’ll also be your friend.

1 Like

You all should follow me @jonah@social.privacytools.io :wink:

2 Likes

i usually abhor the “should” word, but in this case I make exception :blush:
(Jonah is good peeps, imo)

anyways, need to login the Mastodon soon, appreciating this group add thread. very cool, cya’ll there, if i imagine this properly~

2 Likes

Aw thanks! Quitting some toxic communities and joining some cooler ones (like this one)!

I’ve been on a Mastodon instance run by the NZ Open Source Society, ever since my old fediverse host, the GNU social instance at Quitter.se, shut down unexpectedly. I post mainly about tech politics, software, and privacy, with some other politics and general banter thrown in for good measure:

1 Like

OpenNIC Operator as in you created it, or you have a site on it? I’ve been a user for quite some time now. :wink:

1 Like

One of my favorite search engines: http://grep.geek/

lol I don’t have any sites on OpenNIC actually… I run two Tier 1 servers, ns9 and ns11, I create/manage the opennic.org homepage, run the OpenNIC Discord server, and just some other random stuff. And I have an @opennic.org email so that should count for something :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m on Mastodon, as well. Created a twitter account once or twice but promptly got rid of them.

Sweet, I just yesterday decided that I want to use OpenNIC and am planning to set up a server. The OpenNIC TLDs are what made me consider the project… And I find the servers I picked to be both fast and (if they do as they claim) privacy and security conscious. What’s not to love?

1 Like

That counts for a lot, actually! The main “issue” I’ve noticed is that it doesn’t seem to have caught on widely yet. A lot of people have probably never even heard of OpenNIC; am I wrong?

1 Like

I’m not sure about the Anarcho-capitalist thing, but I’ll be your friend too! (Actually, having looked it up, it doesn’t sound like a bad idea in theory.) What’s your Telegram name?

1 Like

Yeah honestly it’s more of an interesting hobby project, because there are very few users. I certainly don’t promote it as heavily as I did maybe 2 years ago. Projects like privacytools.io are more helpful to more people so I’ve been focusing on stuff like this.

1 Like

grep.geek seems to be unreachable today.

1 Like

Diaspora could be considered a decentralized version of Facebook.

That was it’s crowdfunding pitch, but it’s never got anywhere near the functionality of FarceBook. The main thing people I know use FB for is events and Messenger. Hubzilla or Friendica is probably closer, they at least have events calendars. But to really create a decentralized FB you’d need a network of hosts that offer one of those and XMPP chat, under the same login credentials, with a super smooth UX. I wrote more about that on the Trisquel forums:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/anti-fuckbook-campaign#comment-140377

1 Like

It works for me! Do you have the Blockchain DNS plugin, or something similar? I believe that’s required.

We are also on Mastodon:

This is actually our second account. The first one was closed since the whole instance was shut down over night (securitymastod.one). Hopefully, this won’t happen again because one loses all of their followers, toots etc. in this case.

2 Likes