Iris, decentralized P2P social network

Iris is a new privacy-oriented, decentralized, P2P social network created by Martti Malmi, first developer of BTC after Satoshi. Everything is stored on your device, you can post photos, videos, audios, text, etc, you can send encrypted messages, there’s a trust system to verify contacts and they are working on peer-finding through Bluetooth and LAN.
I have not been able to try it since I don’t know anyone who uses it but looks promising.

From their website:

It’s important to remember that as for now, all posts, ratings and verifications are public .

Private chats are encrypted: they can be read only by you and the person you’re chatting with. However, it is possible to guess who are communicating with each other by looking at Gun subscriptions and message timestamps. “Last online” status is publicly available.

See privacy policy for more information.

And here is an article from Hackernoon, which Malmi wrote, where he speaks about privacy, decentralization and finally their website.

From the article:

Iris web of trust works both on the software level and the user level. On the software level it is used to manage peer connections and prioritize storage space: friends connect to each other and replicate each other’s content. On the user level it aims to serve as a socially scalable version of the system of trust that naturally exists in tribes and villages, reducing the need for a centralized justice system and facilitating the gift economy.

Web of trust helps filter out spam and other unwanted content without entrusting the power to a central moderator. Instead of a single moderator, you have multiple “moderators” whom you can choose and whose collective decisions you can override. It makes trolling, fake news and other propaganda campaigns more difficult , since your messages are only shown to people whose WoT you are in.

Based on attestations (“identity verifications”) from your WoT, Iris maps natural names to public keys and other identifiers, providing a decentralized alternative to digital identity providers such as domain names, email addresses, phone numbers, social media handles or CA certificates. Similarly to Petnames or Namecoin, it fulfills all three properties of Zooko’s triangle outlined in Names: Decentralized, Secure, Human-Meaningful: Choose Two.

Unlike Namecoin addresses or other global names, Iris names are not globally unique: there can be multiple people named John Smith. When searching for a name, you get a dropdown list of results ordered by their WoT distance, along with avatars and other human-meaningful attributes that are attested by your WoT. Iris doesn’t have a globally shared state. Instead, what you see depends on what your WoT says.

Another article by Snapperbuzz:

https://www.snapperbuzz.com/an-in-depth-look-at-iris-a-new-decentralized-social-network/

On top of this, identity verifications can take place by utilizing peers trusted by your web of trust. For instance, if you lost the private key to your account you can simply create a new one and link your old Iris data by asking your web of trust for verifications. Iris creators have revealed other concepts that could be tied to Iris like cryptocurrency wallets. Digital asset wallet curators could design an Iris-based human-recognizable identity system that’s tethered to payment addresses. The developer specifications say that Iris could be used instead of telecom-bound phone numbers on mobile messaging apps like Signal. Additionally, users can opt to connect imports from existing services and have them digitally signed for verification purposes.

Other URLs to access Iris:

https://iris.cx/

1 Like

It looks interesting, but I am not sure I would want a social network I use to remember everything I do forever on a blockchain.

Assuming verifications are the Web of Trust, I am not sure what to think about it as even gpg has been criticized for that, making the who knows who information public for a potential adversary.

I don’t really know the technical specifications of blockchain, but I’m pretty sure you can delete your posts and there’s no way to recover them, but maybe I’m wrong

Also I think that the web of trust is “anonymous”, I mean, when you rank someone to see if they are trustworthy or not, there’s no way to link that. Then of course there are the people you follow, or the ones you add as friends (I don’t know how that is managed) but it’s the typical thing is a social network, and of course if your threat model is too high you shouldn’t use that kind of stuff.