Invidious is an open-source alternative front-end to YouTube, Thoughts?

https://invidio.us/

Official Onion Sites:

• kgg2m7yk5aybusll.onion
  • axqzx4s6s54s32yentfqojs3x5i7faxza6xo3ehd4bzzsg2ii4fv2iid.onion

Features:

• Audio-only mode (and no need to keep window open on mobile)

• Open-source (AGPLv3 licensed)

• No ads

• No need to create a Google account to save subscriptions

• Lightweight (homepage is ~4 KB compressed)

• Tools for managing subscriptions:

• Only show unseen videos

• Only show latest (or latest unseen) video from each channel

• Delivers notifications from all subscribed channels

• Automatically redirect homepage to feed

• Import subscriptions from YouTube

• Dark mode

• Embed support

• Set default player options (speed, quality, autoplay, loop)

• Does not require JS to play videos

• Support for Reddit comments in place of YT comments

• Import/Export subscriptions, watch history, preferences

• Does not use any of the official YouTube APIs

• Developer API

2 Likes

wanna my thoughts ? its amazing website & i hope there is same alts for other services like spotify & netflix

iam using this site daily & i even added userscripts to redirect yt urls to invidious urls

EDIT: i just wanna to comment about some of ur words

no, its need js

its using googlevideos to give u a video (Except you enabled proxy then the server will talk to google)

never heared of that

EDIT: too late but i wanna correct that the player works fine with no JS enabled, sorry for confusion

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, I copied and pasted that information from

i like it… when it works (i had to disable the redirect to watch a video just now)

i use Redirector to handle it, but there are several other alternatives (Header Editor being one) including dedicated add-ons

there’s a list of invidious instances here by the way

1 Like

I recommend Invidious to watch Youtube videos, I don’t have to worry about the included tracking. They also provide an option to download the video, or only the audio.

1 Like

yeah, i think they’re using youtube-dl for that if anyone wants to install it locally - it’s great util that Linux-ers might find in their repo (also works on windows)

1 Like

didn’t know about invidio.us until a year ago stumble across Freetube app (also see project on github). Dev is real responsive and can be found in matrixlandia at Freetube General and Freetube Secure rooms (the latter being e2ee).

anyway, freetube works great and imported my subscriptions exported from utube before closing that goog/youtuber account. It is beta and proxy was not watertight last I checked (there was a clearnet call when i test using Tor socks5 proxy, so still needs testing!
oh, and it is electron based build, many don’t like that but it works fine for me.

lastly, it does have a redirect extension for FF to take a browser youtube clicked link and send to freetube app but I don’t think it reliable so do use copy/paste from FF to freetube search which finds video on invidious site. I was use this redirect but it is fail to rewrite youtube links to invidious (so youtube does load briefly before redirect happens:/… just found this fork so going to give it a trial run and… @12bytes.org that redirector extension looks real good, thanks for posting about it! Going to test this one too, got a few case uses in mind already that this will be just right for.

Take a look at Invidition; very helpful Invidious extension.

3 Likes

If you sign up for invidious, and go into settings, you can actually route ALL the traffic through invidious. Including the video.

At least 2 months ago that was possible, haven’t checked right now.

That way there won’t be any requests to Google.

You’d probably want to make a donation for server costs if you do that though.

2 Likes

Ok I just checked, it’s still possible, it’s called proxy video:

proxy

Please don’t abuse it. Bandwidth is expensive.

very good, just removed that forked one and installed invidition, getting it set to work with uM now. :popcorn:

1 Like

And also spread your use across different instances or even host one yourself.

Love Invidious, use it daily.
FreeTube is also awesome:

https://freetubeapp.io/

Note: FreeTube uses Invidious.

2 Likes

Very nice. I use the tor service exclusively instead of YouTube.

Wouldn’t I be doing that anyways using the app

I can recommend FreeTube if you are looking for a privacy-focused desktop YT client. It has a nice UI/UX (very similar to YT desktop web), allows for subscriptions without a Google account and has a dark mode.

The most recent beta introduced profiles; a very useful feature that allows you to separate custom sets of subscriptions into different profiles. For example, you can have a profile for all the tech channels you follow and another one for politics.