Interpol planning to break the trust in Encryption

Interpol is trying to break the trust in encryption, planning to request the companies which use encryption to make a backdoor for them giving the excuse by “child predators”. Im almost thinking to move to the darknet forever.
Im too worried, Im exaggerating or do you think so too? please, i saw this on reddit but i think it’s important to talk about it on the forum too

3 Likes

no. you’re not exaggerating, they’re really moving forward this with a bullshit reason that we know thats not the only thing they want to do

1 Like

“This proposal will endanger people who rely on strong encryption to keep them safe, including from hackers and repressive regimes,” said a spokesman for Facebook, which was among the tech companies in Lyon for the conference. “It will also weaken the online security of over a billion people.”

At least we have Facebook fighting for us :laughing:

4 Likes

atleast they help in this, and i hope more big techs (they’ve more voice and clearly help the government so will be more visible) fight even they’re evil. in this moment all we need is to take down this plan of Interpol

1 Like

crying in pain while reading this

1 Like

Hopefully the EU will get to FINALLY pass the ePrivacy directive, which actually MANDATES e2ee

1 Like

It’s important to note that Interpol, despite its high falutin’ name, has very little power. It’s no more than a clearing house for international arrest warrants.

It’s also infamous for letting itself be perverted by authoritarian governments such as Russia, which use it to issue warrants for political refugees abroad, under the guise of hunting criminals. Those warrants, when exposed for what they are, are not enforced by democratic countries. And such practices certainly don’t increase Interpol’s reputation in the worldwide security circles.

Interpol says they want something. Fine. I want you to give me caviar and champagne everyday. Interpol can no more “plan to break the trust in encryption”, than the United States government can plan to ban baked bread.

Please note there’s no shortage of top world-class security officials, or ex-security officials (meaning, often, American), who have gone on the record opposing encryption backdoors on matters of principle. Principle, and national security, too:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/10/former_fbi_gene.html

In an extraordinary essay, the former FBI general counsel Jim Baker makes the case for strong encryption over government-mandated backdoors […].

Keep in mind that Baker led the FBI’s legal case against Apple regarding the San Bernardino shooter’s encrypted iPhone. In writing this piece, Baker joins the growing list of former law enforcement and national security senior officials who have come out in favor of strong encryption over backdoors: Michael Hayden, Michael Chertoff, Richard Clarke, Ash Carter, William Lynn, and Mike McConnell.

1 Like