Include delisted/never listed items

First of all, love the site! It’s got lots of great information.

I had one idea: I think it would be very useful (and also avoid lots of questions) to include a list of tools that were considered and removed.

This idea came up when I was wondering why aescrypt wasn’t included in the file encryption section, did some digging and saw that it was actually included in the past and removed. Information about why items were removed, or about tools that were seriously considered but did not pass would be very useful.

You can read the discussions in GitHub for many of the recommended products and services, and some of which are rejected/removed/modified.

1 Like

I don’t think this is a good idea because there are to many stuff not to use and if we even target non-english products the list would be just endless

2 Likes

i mean, most of apps are bad and a few of them are good so it’s more easy to include go to use apps instead?

1 Like

Yes, these are definitely good points.

My first thought is that some notable projects/products that are marketed as privacy focused make sense being mentioned. Specifically, I was thinking of the Brave browser, which I was surprised was not listed. There’s a huge spectrum of lesser known projects too, and there’d be too many to list. It’d probably be hard to draw a line between what is mentioned and what is not mentioned.

But people may be curious about specific projects, and I think it could be easier to lead them to the Github discussion. The discussion on Github has lots of very useful information, but I think the average person would have a hard time finding it. Something along the lines of “Looking for something specific? Search the discussion on Github” would help direct them the right way.

Brave used to be listed, but from what I understand they received a lot of requests coming from users of this site asking for changes. As a result they requested to be removed from the recommendation list.

As pointed out in me previous post you can read all about it on GitHub.

For alternatives I recommend alternativeTo