If im using lineage OS can google still track me?

If im using Lineage OS instead of android with no google apps or apps from the app store, can google still track me?

And if so, how?
Thank. You!

1 Like

If im using Lineage OS instead of android with no google apps or apps from the app store, can google still track me?

Yes, since there could be still network traffic to Google servers (e.g. NTP time server, connectivity check, DNS server). We showed this in our article about /e/, a ROM that is based in LineageOS and promises being Google-free: https://infosec-handbook.eu/blog/e-foundation-first-look/#sap

4 Likes

Ok, so ilis there anything that can be done to prevent it?

The best way to detect unwanted connections is to monitor the complete network traffic of a device. This allows you to spot traffic to Google servers, for example. Based on this information, you could try to identify the source of this traffic.

Another possibility is to check all settings of the device (even settings that only can be accessed via adb). However, there is no guarantee that you actually disable everything from Google this way.

1 Like

with netguard you can prevent a lot of traffic from apps and system apps at least

Net guard kind of forces me to turn off my VPN.
And besides im not planing on using any google services. My problem is more in the area off this server connection and traffic stuff

NetGuard may not block/show the complete network traffic. For example, you can’t use it to block its own traffic and there may be DNS queries that aren’t shown.

The best way to learn about unwanted network traffic is to use another device that monitors the whole network traffic independently.

1 Like

Device like what?

Any device allowing you to inspect traffic. Examples are routers, switches or even a Raspberry Pi.

I’ve read that article a while ago, it’s just the best, I’ve seen about android system testing recently! :muscle:
Do you know, if there is any similar available about lineageos?
Or would you consider doing the same with lineage? :yum:

What about pushing a nice big fat hosts file to LineageOS, including google.com? Is that even possible?