I want to buy a laptop, install Linux and the have the opportunity to use W10 on top of it

I need windows to run some programs (mostly Ableton and FL studio). I don’t want it to have an internet connection because I would do everything else on Linux. Is it possible or everything would be super lagging because of the double OS and also because audio editing is very expensive in terms of resources? How would you do it? Any other advice?

(blacklight447) #2

It depends a bit on how powerful your computer is. some other options you have are :

1. Install wine an see if you can get your windows program to run natively on your Linux computer.
  2. As another option, dual boot your computer with Linux and Windows, don’t give Windows access to the internet by simply not giving it your WiFi password, and then making a partition that both your Linux and Windows computer can access. This way you can boot into Windows to do your editing, then later boot into your Linux, and copy the file from the Windows partition.

P.S. Welcome to our forum :slight_smile:!

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I saw the other post on the forum asking for the best Linux notebook so I’ll look at the replies. I’m not sure about one thing though, if I set double boot isn’t one of the OS still using the one below to get things done?

P.S. Thanks! I see you’re a team member, I’m really thankful to all of you guys, you changed my life, keep it up!

(blacklight447) #4

You are mixing up two concepts: dual/multi booting, and virtualization:

Hope this helps :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Yeah I was definitely mixing them up, thanks again.

1 Like

If you need Windows and want to seal it off from internet then consider run in virtual machine (VMware/Virtualbox versus Wine, which comes with it’s bag of issues) and give laptop over to Linux. This guide, written with Linux novice in mind, is Ubuntu/Mint instruction that is basic enough to apply to other distros. (sorry for the blogspot/google link, fella has a real cool site up that helped me this past initial Linux year of use and learning)

Otherwise dualboot, but consider to disable wifi and ethernet adapters (and/or unplug) when booted into windows because it will connect otherwise :laughing: