How do you manage your personal brand online?

Hi all, I’m a QA guy who always envisioned myself owning myname.com and creating a portfolio of my work experience along with a resume. Recently I’ve been thinking about privacy, and my goal is to mainly keep my real name, address away from the internet if possible.

Obviously the norm is for people to show the schools I went to, companies worked at, etc. which is personal information. It seems like it will get tricky drawing a line for what and what not to share.

What’s a safe way to do personal branding online?
Can you even market yourself as a different name? It seems insincere to applying for jobs for one name and then end up saying ‘Oh by the way, my name is actually X’ if the job offer is accepted.

1 Like

Personally, if I had my own .com website, I’d probably redirect it to duckduckgo or something, just to prevent anyone else from hijacking and squatting my own name online (same for my loved ones).

I wouldnt use an alias to market myself. It just complicate things when dealing with businesses. Might as well use social media responsibly (I shudder to suggest LinkedIn) and be more deliberate with posts and limit replies. Also scrub metadata off all pic posts.

Thanks, sometimes I just need to hear the answer even though I know it myself. It feels like a part of me wants to hide in a cave (perfectionist) rather than just put together a realistic threat model with the resources that privactools offers.

By the way, what do you mean by redirecting it to duckduckgo? If I have content on it, why do I need to redirect it to ddg?

1 Like

I dont have content to publish out so a simple redirect works for my use case.

Using privacy respecting domain registration service also helps like Njalla.

For the domain, make sure you have WHOIS Privacy. I would recommend only introducing your first name but this is your choice. If you have a name that can be abbreviated use the abbreviation. Example: Dav - David. Use a privacy respecting web host and maybe add Cloudflare in front of it. If you plan on using social media limit your self to a public twitter (only).

It’s all about keeping that one alias separate from your real identity. Make a completely different email/password for everything regarding this brand.

2 Likes

for me, i use my username most of time which is i know easily can tied back to my real name and for myself i use CV on my personal site (my goal is keep data from companies like google not be anonymous) so it depends on your threat module.

What comes to mind: you can shorten your last name to just one letter e.g. John J., drop the second name completely or use a nickname (e.g. the one you use for git repositories).

1 Like

This is a real interesting dilemma. I was wondering if you came up with a solution? @chickensaregreat

I wonder if something like using your real name (or something close) for the domain name and then adding some meta tags/robots.txt to exclude search engines and/or adding an easy/simple question/password field would work? Maybe something like that would be a good middle ground? :thinking: :smiley:

1 Like

I think I am just overcomplicating things, I can’t have the cake and eat it too. I don’t want to come across as dishonest to any potential employers. I haven’t revisited this but if I were to go forward, I think I will just use my real name and create a portfolio. I just need to be careful what I put on the website and not put too many personal details. I

2 Likes

Realistically, more than your name is out there already, so you shouldnt be adding more. Pick a picture and copyright it then ask for a DMCA takedown whenever someone grabs it and put it into their database.

Another idea for anyone else following this thread. You don’t have to use your name, you could call your website something like ‘TheAmazingProgrammer.com’ or something. If you want potential recruiters to get in touch, you can say something like ‘Get in touch at Contact@TheAmazingProgrammer.com